Football

Thinkingallowed

Got to say I am very happy that England won and I wish them the best for the final, I think they have a good chance but this absolute craziness that is in the papers and on the tele about 'it is coming home' leaves me a bit cold.

It is like there is going to be a lot of happy people on Sunday or a lot of people with mental health problems afterwards even suicidal. I think swallow dives off tall buildings could be in order for some if England don't win.

I just can't get as excited as some of those on TV (especially the English woman on ITV today from Italy celebrating so much I thought she was going to have a heart attack) and I am very philosophical about it.  Of course I want them to win but it is so OTT at the moment I wonder what actually makes up the lives of some of those being interviewed and reacting to last nights win.  Is there substance to the lives of those who seem to be so obsessed with England that all else pales in to insignificance, can't get my head around it myself.

I am sure also there is a 50% contingent in Scotland who are willing the Italians to win and Monday may be a bad day for those either south or north of the Hadrian's wall.

Now if it was Chelsea I would get a little bit more excited but they have already won the Champions League so my season is complete.

Just an alternative view and sorry but this is just the Euros, think I was more excited when the leavers won the Brexit vote lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Got to say I am very happy that England won and I wish them the best for the final, I think they have a good chance but this absolute craziness that is in the papers and on the tele about 'it is coming home' leaves me a bit cold.

It is like there is going to be a lot of happy people on Sunday or a lot of people with mental health problems afterwards even suicidal. I think swallow dives off tall buildings could be in order for some if England don't win.

I just can't get as excited as some of those on TV (especially the English woman on ITV today from Italy celebrating so much I thought she was going to have a heart attack) and I am very philosophical about it.  Of course I want them to win but it is so OTT at the moment I wonder what actually makes up the lives of some of those being interviewed and reacting to last nights win.  Is there substance to the lives of those who seem to be so obsessed with England that all else pales in to insignificance, can't get my head around it myself.

I am sure also there is a 50% contingent in Scotland who are willing the Italians to win and Monday may be a bad day for those either south or north of the Hadrian's wall.

Now if it was Chelsea I would get a little bit more excited but they have already won the Champions League so my season is complete.

Just an alternative view and sorry but this is just the Euros, think I was more excited when the leavers won the Brexit vote lol

Chill the f**k out, we`ve been waiting 55 years to contest a major final and after going so close on occasions since then but always falling short you don`t want us to celebrate after what we`ve been through in the last 16 months?

We might well fall short on Sunday, it`s really too close to call, if we do the noisy neighbours will be rejoicing, but being in a major final is something they can only dream about.

In the meantime take a chill pill mate. and try if you can to enjoy the moment. 

• Like 2

I'l loving seeing the place buzzing, people excited, happy and smiling.

To me it's just what the Doctor ordered after this last 18months of Hell.

Sure if they lose it'll be a big let down, but once that passes, even the aspect of getting to the final will be rejoiced.

The excitement and joy out here in London is tangible.

C'mon Engerland, from a Northern Ireland supporter! 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Horizondave said:

etc.

Totally agree with your post.

If England lose, I fear that we are going to give a poor impression to the rest of the world as there will be pictures of far from magnanimous losers. I can just imagine, e.g., Italian restaurants being smashed up. If you own a Fiat, best to garage it on Sunday!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Totally agree with your post.

If England lose, I fear that we are going to give a poor impression to the rest of the world as there will be pictures of far from magnanimous losers. I can just imagine, e.g., Italian restaurants being smashed up. If you own a Fiat, best to garage it on Sunday!

:lol:

They've lost every tournament since 1966, sometimes in the England already. 

3 hours ago, ukdave51 said:

Chill the f**k out, we`ve been waiting 55 years to contest a major final and after going so close on occasions since then but always falling short you don`t want us to celebrate after what we`ve been through in the last 16 months?

We might well fall short on Sunday, it`s really too close to call, if we do the noisy neighbours will be rejoicing, but being in a major final is something they can only dream about.

In the meantime take a chill pill mate. and try if you can to enjoy the moment. 

Don't need a chill pill mate. I just can't understand the total OTT response to the win, it's just a game of football that England did well to win. Just seems like some people have nothing in their lives that allows them to be remotely excited beyond football,  maybe my life is quite fulfilled without needing to go ga ga over a game of football. 

I was around when England won the world cup, it was a great success story but come Monday a lot of people could be well upset and may not be able to cope, that I find sad.

I will enjoy it if England win but I won't be going mental.

I am really relating to some of the responses to the win that I have seen on TV which I feel have just been over the top and whooped up by overhyped media. I am just glad I am rather philosophical about it rather than going crazy. 

5 hours ago, Horizondave said:

So if Chelsea had lost you'd have "swallow dived from a tall building"?

As for the jocks. They have always had very good players ( I'm a Leeds supporter from the 70s FFS and watched them play!) but until they dump the outright hatred of the English they will never compete at an international level until beating the Auld Enemy stops being their only measure of success! That goes for Sturgeon too !!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

So if Chelsea had lost you'd have "swallow dived from a tall building"?

As for the jocks. They have always had very good players ( I'm a Leeds supporter from the 70s FFS and watched them play!) but until they dump the outright hatred of the English they will never compete at an international level until beating the Auld Enemy stops being their only measure of success! That goes for Sturgeon too !!

Never had the mental stresses thankfully to want to swallow dive from a building but if Chelsea had lost I would probably have just had another beer and being philosophical about it I would have just gone to bed and played a few games of Farm Heroes Saga before falling asleep.

I would not have jumped out of a window, my wife would not have been scared of a beating and I would not have destroyed any furniture.

You also made a good comment about the Scottish and beating England being their only measure of success.  I amplify that and add that England beating Italy will not be my only measure of my success or quality of life as I have many other avenues to make me and my family happy whatever is thrown at us.  For some it seems that England winning is their only option and I just worry about the mental state of some who may not cope come the final whistle on Sunday.

Of course I wish England to win but should they fall I will just see it as a better than expected Euros where the team have excelled, I will not be crying in my beer.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Krapow said:

I'l loving seeing the place buzzing, people excited, happy and smiling.

To me it's just what the Doctor ordered after this last 18months of Hell.

Totally agree, loads of smiling happy people in my part of North London today.  Just what we needed🥳

• Like 1