Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

On 7/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, dcfc2007 said:

Just look at the pics of the Marquee bar, says it all to me, if the R-Con bars are on trouble as some suggest, well that really would be worrysome. 

I was out drinking in Buakhao this week and can give a couple of reasons that The Marquee was quiet, even given the current situation:

1)  They have remodelled (lowered) the front and extended the wall round to the side.  This has lost the comfort factor of sitting on the high stools overlooking the street and the new experience just wasn't as enjoyable.

2)  60 baht SML and 65 baht Heineken in the middle of the afternoon.  A few yards along the road is Extra Bar, then opposite that Neya's 2 and Amazon Bar, all very similar and all offering beer from 55 baht.  All the others had many more customers in my 1 or 2 hour snapshot.

• Great Info 1

6 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Just how much cheaper can it get really? Happy hour in case one is interested is from 2 p.m. in the afternoon until they close at midnight. Unbelievable the first bar is the boom bar and they are both located in LK Metro

FB_IMG_1595046969635.jpgFB_IMG_1595046849724.jpg

That must be no more than 5-10b above wholesale cost. 

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

That must be no more than 5-10b above wholesale cost. 

42 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Yes about 5 baht

About 12B above cost. Here's a link to the price list for a distributor we use for the Hash House Harrier runs.

Edit to add: They'll have to sell a lot of beers at that price to cover overhead costs.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 6

33 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

About 12B above cost. Here's a link to the price list for a distributor we use for the Hash House Harrier runs.

Edit to add: They'll have to sell a lot of beers at that price to cover overhead costs.

They probably won't be covering overheads, I would say it's damage limitation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KWA said:

I was out drinking in Buakhao this week and can give a couple of reasons that The Marquee was quiet, even given the current situation:

1)  They have remodelled (lowered) the front and extended the wall round to the side.  This has lost the comfort factor of sitting on the high stools overlooking the street and the new experience just wasn't as enjoyable.

2)  60 baht SML and 65 baht Heineken in the middle of the afternoon.  A few yards along the road is Extra Bar, then opposite that Neya's 2 and Amazon Bar, all very similar and all offering beer from 55 baht.  All the others had many more customers in my 1 or 2 hour snapshot.

The expats seem a fickle lot , 5 Baht more to drink at your regular bar ... outrageous...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

well wat im reading the gogos are going to start dropping like flies by look of the drink prices.still charging 150 plus for tiger light and the like.no way are these places going to survive.but its thai logic as always no customer got to make up the losses with high prices. errrrrrrrrrr no u got to sut ur profit to get people to coem and make it a good night the more u have i nthe more ur going to make orther wise ur going under.is saphire open yet lets see what they come up with i know they do cheapy charlie on sundays but rest of time the beers are 165 a time.ok the girls some the best in town but no way would i pay any of their prices at all was quote 3000st and u had to pay that before u left.i turn and said no what i pay is between me and the girl not the bar.

7 hours ago, Jambo said:

Having commenced our night out in Le Pub we decided to do a  bit of a tour round starting at Doll House. On entering we doubled the number of customers which is not really surprising given the increasing number of venues and the static number of expats.

My first overriding impression was surprise as all the girls on the stage were displaying their piss flaps but they did all have a full plastic face mask but just not covering their face.

Having just paid my very reasonable bill at Le Pub I was interested to see what Doll House would charge me for my first ( and last ) Tiger light. The answer was 165 baht which I thought was outrageous considering they had just reopened and have a need to encourage customers. I added masochism to my financial pain through buying the nubile young lady exploring what was under my boxers an equally expensive LD.

We did a couple more gogo's ending up in Ricky's having moved away from Walking Street. The girls are not the greatest but are very touchy/feely but again short sighted pricing structure on the drinks.

Unless the gogo's realise that charging high prices for drinks will lose the expat customers to the bars then they will not be open very long.

I was told that Soi 6 has a profusion of quality young debutants currently. I don't believe it for one minute but I might check it out if I happen to be passing. 😊

PS

Checked out Soi 6 yesterday which is not normally my manor. It is absolutely rammed with pussy and I do mean rammed. Only a very limited number of potential customers . Reminds me of my first visit to Soi 7 back in 2003 when I thought I had found pussy heaven.☺

Best thing is you speak to the landlords they are paying the rent to & the amount the girls want every month then. These establishments in walking street cost a small fortune to run every month hence the price. They don't care for expats in walking street & never have done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Just how much cheaper can it get really? Happy hour in case one is interested is from 2 p.m. in the afternoon until they close at midnight. Unbelievable the first bar is the boom bar and they are both located in LK Metro

Great God Awwwmighty.........open up Swampy for us boozers so we can flourish and spread good cheer throughout the land.

Would it be possible for one to quarantine in a pub?

I read that the great Irish actor and drinker, Oliver Reed, used to self-quarantine in a pub quite often.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

With those prices I might even stand my round lol. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Great God Awwwmighty.........open up Swampy for us boozers so we can flourish and spread good cheer throughout the land.

Would it be possible for one to quarantine in a pub?

I read that the great Irish actor and drinker, Oliver Reed, used to self-quarantine in a pub quite often.

Oops....just noticed the "small bottles" at the bottom of the banner.

What is a small bottle, 8 oz. Or 250 ml?

Just now, Mr. Smooth said:

Oops....just noticed the "small bottles" at the bottom of the banner.

What is a small bottle, 8 oz. Or 250 ml?

Just a regular bottle I imagine vs the big bottles of Chang and Leo some expats might try and get for that price. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, simon said:

Best thing is you speak to the landlords they are paying the rent to & the amount the girls want every month then. These establishments in walking street cost a small fortune to run every month hence the price. They don't care for expats in walking street & never have done.

Simon,

You post with the logic of the average Thai owner. Customers down by 95% increase the price to make up the loss of income.

That is the height of stupidity as the ONLY potential customer for at least the rest of this year is expats and they are not going to pay 160 baht for a beer.

If the gogo owners do not realise this they will not stay open long.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Knuckles said:

I've been a frequent visitor to the Dogs Bollocks for the last ten years. Loads of soccer hooligan memorabilia on the walls, but that was diminishing with every passing year and being replaced with boozy party-style photos of patrons. Roger, the owner, was/is a pussycat, the UK nationalist/UVF stuff was a theme he continued with, the place wasn't a meeting point for white nationalists or sectarian football fans, (all that was in the distant past when Chris Henderson and Steve Hickmott set up shop there), in the last few years it was just a soi boozer with a colourful historic reputation.

Rogers wife,seen in the Pattaya Mail article, is properly connected to the police and so very well protected. A police uniform used to hang behind the bar as a warning not to play up. A couple of years ago Roger bought a rottweiler and chained it up in the bar, it was ok with farang customers but lost the plot if a Thai male ever set foot in the bar.The dog was like that when he bought it, it wasn't trained by him to respond to locals as some suggested. He brought his geriatric father over from London a couple of years ago, and recently put the bar up for sale. Covid obviously put the mockers on that, hence the transformation to a restaurant. 

The Dogs Bollocks hasn't been edgy for more than a decade, it was a time capsule for another age, all the stuff on the walls was a reminder of how it used to be, a theme- no more,no less. A black bloke from London had the laundry next door until he sold it and it became a massage parlour..if it was a racist den, there wouldn't have been a coloured bloke boozing in there every day. 

Good summary. 

I was a regular there many years back when Chris was alive and Hickey was in town from the Philippines.

It had a reputation for sure but no more than the Celtic supporters bars further up the road towards the beach. 

Some dodgy looking characters but Chris ran a tight ship such that I would often watch footie there with my 'Indian' wife.

Always a level of respect in the bar, no trouble inside especially with girls running the bar but woe betide those passing by that wished to cause trouble, usually pissed Celtic supporters stupid enough to stand outside cursing the Queen. Even a Japanese film crew filming without consent got more than they bargained for.

Haven't been in since Chubby Chris passed away so can't really comment but it was a good place to meet back in the day.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Good summary. 

I was a regular there many years back when Chris was alive and Hickey was in town from the Philippines.

It had a reputation for sure but no more than the Celtic supporters bars further up the road towards the beach. 

Some dodgy looking characters but Chris ran a tight ship such that I would often watch footie there with my 'Indian' wife.

Always a level of respect in the bar, no trouble inside especially with girls running the bar but woe betide those passing by that wished to cause trouble, usually pissed Celtic supporters stupid enough to stand outside cursing the Queen. Even a Japanese film crew filming without consent got more than they bargained for.

Haven't been in since Chubby Chris passed away so can't really comment but it was a good place to meet back in the day.

I used to be on the other side outside Rising Sun ,having a laugh with Chris,especailly the night WHU beat Chelsea 2-1 ,back in 1997 I think :default_clapping:

I won 45000 Bht backing WHU to win 2-1,had 5000bht on at 9-1.

Chris said "it's only a footy game ray" had some laughs with Nervous Dave he was a partner with Chris.

regards

grayray

post-7641-0-41416600-1393551001.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grayray said:

I used to be on the other side outside Rising Sun ,having a laugh with Chris,especailly the night WHU beat Chelsea 2-1 ,back in 1997 I think :default_clapping:

I won 45000 Bht backing WHU to win 2-1,had 5000bht on at 9-1.

Chris said "it's only a footy game ray" had some laughs with Nervous Dave he was a partner with Chris.

regards

grayray

post-7641-0-41416600-1393551001.jpg

Lovely bunch. 

Chelsea headhunters, notorious neo-nazi hooligans responsible for murder and mayhem, but 'they were OK with me'.

Ian Huntley was the best grounds keeper Cambridgeshire... 

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

Simon,

You post with the logic of the average Thai owner. Customers down by 95% increase the price to make up the loss of income.

That is the height of stupidity as the ONLY potential customer for at least the rest of this year is expats and they are not going to pay 160 baht for a beer.

If the gogo owners do not realise this they will not stay open long.

Expats or no expats the only  go go bars which will survive are the owners with a big pot. The rest will be gone & Pattaya will never be the same. For a long time now in Thailand landlords have got greedy bar owners & most of all bar girls, when you've got blokes sending chunks of money every month these girls don't give a shit. But even that will start to change cos some guys won't have it to send. Think there are going to be very hard times ahead in Thailand especially Pattaya IMHO.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, simon said:

Expats or no expats the only  go go bars which will survive are the owners with a big pot. The rest will be gone & Pattaya will never be the same. For a long time now in Thailand landlords have got greedy bar owners & most of all bar girls, when you've got blokes sending chunks of money every month these girls don't give a shit. But even that will start to change cos some guys won't have it to send. Think there are going to be very hard times ahead in Thailand especially Pattaya IMHO.

I agree I just can not see many sponsor payments continuing if a guy doesn't even know when he can return to Thailand.......Unless the sponsor is doing ok himself and knows the girl very very well....

The sad part is bar work from musicians to bartenders to girls etc....just does not transfer well at all to any other kind of work.... 

• Like 3

The crappy sub 40 baht to the sterling exchange rate won't help either. they could open up the borders tomorrow, but for many guys it's also a case of not wanting to go there until the rate improves slightly anyway. 38 / 39 baht to the pound isn't going to get many guys excited. I honestly think that we will see lower rates than what we are now over the next few months, but I hope I'm wrong though.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Butch said:

The crappy sub 40 baht to the sterling exchange rate won't help either. they could open up the borders tomorrow, but for many guys it's also a case of not wanting to go there until the rate improves slightly anyway. 38 / 39 baht to the pound isn't going to get many guys excited. I honestly think that we will see lower rates than what we are now over the next few months, but I hope I'm wrong though.

I have my sights set  on Skegness instead 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Lovely bunch. 

Chelsea headhunters, notorious neo-nazi hooligans responsible for murder and mayhem, but 'they were OK with me'.

Ian Huntley was the best grounds keeper Cambridgeshire... 

dfc,

dogs was not bar to be stupid in,Chris never bothered me,he did warn one night that I was taken liberties,but I never worried about given back the "banter".

regards

grayray