Jump to content

Brit Killed in Pattaya


ArtyGraph
 Share

Recommended Posts

British man, 50, is killed on the stroke of midnight in front of his fiancee as firework he was trying to light explodes in his face amid New Year celebrations in Thailand

Gary McLaren, 50, died while ringing in the New Year with his Thai fiancee and friends in the party resort of Pattaya, eastern Thailand, on December 31.

Mr McLaren, who was originally from Corby, Northamptonshire, had been partying at the Miami A Go Go bar before stepping outside and trying to light a 50cm cardboard tube packed with fireworks.

Gary McLaren and fiancee JasmineGary McLaren and fiancee Jasmine
 
Mr McLaren had been partying in a go go bar with Jasmine (pictured over his dead body) before stepping outside to light the firework, which began smoking before blowing up
 

Onlookers said his initial attempts to light the fireworks failed, but he succeeded on a second attempt, causing smoke to pour out of the tube.

The fireworks then exploded in his face, knocking him to the ground.

Police and medics were called and performed chest compressions on Mr McLaren, but he was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Posting on Facebook after the accident, she wrote: 'This is [our] last picture honey, you will be in my heart for ever babe. RIP Gary McLaren.'

Rod Parsons added: 'RIP my brother Gary McLaren

'You were like a brother to me & I’ll always be forever grateful plus in your debt for everything you’ve done for me and my son Corey Parsons.

Police said a large tube of fireworks was recovered from the scene and has been kept as evidence while they investigate the death
Link to comment
Share on other sites

RIP, but everyone knows never to go back to relight a duff firework, abnd he did it 3 times.   the lack of clamp odnw on these frickin huge fiereworks tho has been pathetic.  they are not only huge but made by unregualted back street boys.  scary as fuck,

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sad way to go. 

We have all done stupid things or mistakes, the difference of outcome is often dictated by luck or no luck.

But why a 50y old grown up feels the need to play stupid with firework, is beyond me.....

RIP

 

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

RIP, but everyone knows never to go back to relight a duff firework, abnd he did it 3 times.   the lack of clamp odnw on these frickin huge fiereworks tho has been pathetic.  they are not only huge but made by unregualted back street boys.  scary as f**k,

Sounds like a good candidate for a Darwin award.....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Terrible outcome and awful for his family and partner, but avoidable had he not gone back 3 times to light it.

Plus, this took place in the feckin street outside a bar, where others passing by could have been injured as well! 
When we do fireworks at home, any fireworks that don’t go off first time, get a bucket of water splashed over them. 
Half a metre tube filled with explosives is dumb in the extreme, but unfortunately, TIT and things like this happen every day.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, that sucks!  Agree, very unwise to hang around a dud firework.  Jeez.

BTW, I believe Mike Cooperman, mentioned farther down the article, is the owner of Chik-N-Coop Bar, which is in one of the beerbar complexes near the arcade adjacent to Kiss Food on 2nd Rd.  Very nice guy if it is, known to a few on here I think.  The engagement photo in the article looks like it was taken in Chik-N-Coop Bar.

22869488-7842273-image-m-15_1577868486791.jpg

Update:  Definitely is, just looked at his Facebook page.  Very sad.  If you know Mike, go give him your condolences.  Damn.

Edited by Rompho Ray
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was with some friends last night and chipped in for a very similar firework which also took 3 times to light and turned out be pretty crap anyway.  Could easily have been our firelighter and no one stops after a belly full of beer despite what they say on here.

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1999 Fucking Scandii from the Den bar,New Years Eve,rolled a big fucking bomb thing into the Sugar Shack around midnight.

It went off and I swear,it knocked a dozen people,over.Ears were ringing for days.

Someone got him couple,days later,beat arse out of him.

that YouTube video is not him Apperently.Its someone else?

or I could be wrong,but that’s the word.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, tommy dee said:

RIP, but everyone knows never to go back to relight a duff firework, abnd he did it 3 times.   the lack of clamp odnw on these frickin huge fiereworks tho has been pathetic.  they are not only huge but made by unregualted back street boys.  scary as f**k,

back in the late 90s they had these claypots that exploded,schrapnel all over the soi soon as I saw someone lighting one I hid behind the bar,this was in soi yamotto outside the Rising sun and Dogs Bollocks,flucking scared the shit out of me,never seen it before or again.

regards

grayray

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both he and her are remarkably familiar to me although not as a couple. I think she is or was from Atlantic Bar soi 3.

Not surprisingly considering it was the lead story of the Daily Mail app online there are a lot of nasty snide comments from readers. Probably not helped by photos of Miami Go Go in background.

RIP Fella

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, RR007 said:

Not surprisingly considering it was the lead story of the Daily Mail app online there are a lot of nasty snide comments from readers. Probably not helped by photos of Miami Go Go in background.

RIP Fella

No doubt, and the kinda thing my 'What people think of Thailand' thread is about. 

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...