COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

Who knew!!

Thailand bungles virus aid package

5e7ed3c0-6e78-439b-b628-721344ed0cb1.jpg

Jonathan Head

BBC South East Asia Correspondent

Thai people wearing face masks

On Tuesday a crowd of angry, sometimes tearful people gathered in front of Thailand’s finance ministry, to protest their exclusion from a government monthly handout of 5000 baht ($160, £122) for lower-paid workers in the informal sector who have lost their jobs because of the crisis.

More than 20 million people applied for the scheme, but only nine million were approved, although the government is allowing people to appeal against their rejection.

Now Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has acknowledged that the scheme, which was supposed to last for at least three months, and was, perhaps optimistically, titled ‘No-one Left Behind’, in fact has enough funding for only one month of payments.

Any further payments, he said, would depend on him signing new decrees to approve additional economic stimulus.

The Thai government has promised to spend at least $58 billion, around ten percent of GDP, on various measures to help the ailing economy.

One leg of the Thai economy, tourism, has been shattered by the crisis. Another, export manufacturing, has been hit hard.

Household debt has risen over the past decade to around 80 percent of GDP, and most Thai households cannot survive without income for long, unless the government steps in.

Latest is it was a "miscommunication" and the government will make sure the aid is paid for three months.

Prayut: B5,000 to be paid for three months

• Like 1

20 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Have a look in a few hours and then again tomorrow if not already approved. They've really improved on the speed of approving the online reports.

Thanks for the advice, mate. I checked this morning and it's been approved, the next reporting date is 14th July. I'm glad you pointed out the little widget to see the files, I'd undoubtedly have missed that. Oh well, that's one small step for Thai Immigration, but one giant leap for me. Anything to keep out of the pestilential Immigration office, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

The number of hungry people in Thailand is growing. So much so they've had to order one Wat to stop with the free food due to large lines and concerns about lack of social distancing.

Temple temporarily ordered to stop giving free food in Bangkok as concerned “netizens” raise concerns on social distancing at charity events nationwide drawing hundreds of hungry people

social1.jpg

Wat Don Mueang in Bangkok has been temporarily ordered by local authorities to stop giving away free food and water daily after lines have grown to over a thousand and pictures have gone viral on social media, causing some people to raise concerns over social distancing, according to the Bangkok post and Bangkok radio station Jor Sor 100.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

The number of hungry people in Thailand is growing. So much so they've had to order one Wat to stop with the free food due to large lines and concerns about lack of social distancing.

Temple temporarily ordered to stop giving free food in Bangkok as concerned “netizens” raise concerns on social distancing at charity events nationwide drawing hundreds of hungry people

social1.jpg

Wat Don Mueang in Bangkok has been temporarily ordered by local authorities to stop giving away free food and water daily after lines have grown to over a thousand and pictures have gone viral on social media, causing some people to raise concerns over social distancing, according to the Bangkok post and Bangkok radio station Jor Sor 100.

Seen similar pics from Chiang Mai, though wasn't sure if a queue was normal, albeit not so long.

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

More pics of that from Richard Barrow ..not much social distancing going on 

595888FA-5BA2-49A4-96B5-2716BC63D44D.jpeg

At least they're all masked up which will go a long way to cutting down on aerosol transmission of the virus. Touching common surfaces is still problematic though.

Rompho Market in Jomtien, I used to drink here with my mates every afternoon. For those not familiar with the area, Jomtien Second Road is to the right of the picture, hidden by the tree and samlor. Soi 5 and Immigration are straight across Second Road from where the photographer is standing, if he turned 90° to his right he'd be looking at soi 5.

Poor people, queuing up for ages in the hot sun to get some free grub. We don't know how lucky we are.

Food queues at Rompho Market.jpg

And this is the queue backing up to the left behind the people you can see in the photo. Must be a couple of thousand hungry souls.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

Rompho Market in Jomtien, I used to drink here with my mates every afternoon. For those not familiar with the area, Jomtien Second Road is to the right of the picture, hidden by the tree and samlor. Soi 5 and Immigration are straight across Second Road from where the photographer is standing, if he turned 90° to his right he'd be looking at soi 5.

Poor people, queuing up for ages in the hot sun to get some free grub. We don't know how lucky we are.

Food queues at Rompho Market.jpg

And this is the queue backing up to the left behind the people you can see in the photo. Must be a couple of thousand hungry souls.

It was more than just free food.

Rompho market manager in Jomtien gives over 500,000 baht to needy during COVID19 crisis

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Try explaining the benefits of social distancing to someone who probably hasn't eaten since the handouts the day before.

Aye, was thinking the same when they were trying to get people to do social distancing in the Joburg townships/slums.

No food, 8 to a room, no chance.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Aye, was thinking the same when they were trying to get people to do social distancing in the Joburg townships/slums.

No food, 8 to a room, no chance.

It's remarkable that considering over half the world's population is under some form of lockdown, that there hasn't been more social unrest.

This lockdown and global depression is crippling Thailand, the Navy has just had its budget trimmed by 33%. They can't afford to keep the whole economy under a European style lockdown, I can see more and more businesses being allowed to open in May and the weeks following.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

It's remarkable that considering over half the world's population is under some form of lockdown, that there hasn't been more social unrest.

This lockdown and global depression is crippling Thailand, the Navy has just had its budget trimmed by 33%. They can't afford to keep the whole economy under a European style lockdown, I can see more and more businesses being allowed to open in May and the weeks following.

Indeed!

Most crime as actually went down in the UK, but when it kicks off, I think it will be world wide. 

Yea, think maybe holding off till Boris can give the okay, and by tomorrow's papers, he back giving orders, and specifically about the way out of the lockdown and schools back.

I'd be delighted if in May, hoping for mid May.

Very depressing reading the recent posts about the huge lines for handouts in Bangkok and Pattaya. Thailand had had full employment for about 15 years and although millions still lived from hand to mouth on a daily basis, they were able to get by and keep their families fed. Now they aren't able to do that. It's more than sad, it's tragic. Thailand is moving back to the stage where children will go to bed hungry, if that hasn't already begun.  That's when things could get really bad. Best I stop with the negative speculation, but I don't feel optimistic right now. default_68.gif

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 5

I was out and about today,Saturday here.Nice sunny day,spring here,just gorgeous.

Whats buzz are to me is how some businesses are open...and some are shut.

So,the Dollar store is open...but the toy store isn’t.

one is a multi national,the other locally owned.

The coffee shop is open,but Subway is closed.

The coffee shop sells sandwiches too.

The local Chinese place is open for take out,but our local place that does breakies and lunches is closed.

The “Vibe “ gym,that is basically a bullshit gym for old people is open,but I’m closed.

Our kids baseball season was cancelled today,but golf is opening May 1st.

I don’t fucking get it.Either lock it down,or open it up.

I closed my gym,because I was worried about social pressure,but f**k it.

im thinking May 1st we open up and weather the storm.

Last couple of days I’m wondering what the duck we are doing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/16/2020 at 10:29 AM, Toy Boy said:

And what time of the day was it? I've been trying it in the afternoons using Chrome and after completing the first page and pressing 'Confirm' or whatever the last button is, all I get is a blank page. If I try refreshing that the wretched website just goes back to the T&C page at the very start.

That is what was happening to me this morning. Must have tried maybe six times using both firefox and Opera..

I tried again about 10.30 this morning ( firefox I think) and it went straight though. My application is currently "Pending".

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Skalliwag said:

I was out and about today,Saturday here.Nice sunny day,spring here,just gorgeous.

Whats buzz are to me is how some businesses are open...and some are shut.

So,the Dollar store is open...but the toy store isn’t.

one is a multi national,the other locally owned.

The coffee shop is open,but Subway is closed.

The coffee shop sells sandwiches too.

The local Chinese place is open for take out,but our local place that does breakies and lunches is closed.

The “Vibe “ gym,that is basically a bullshit gym for old people is open,but I’m closed.

Our kids baseball season was cancelled today,but golf is opening May 1st.

I don’t fucking get it.Either lock it down,or open it up.

I closed my gym,because I was worried about social pressure,but f**k it.

im thinking May 1st we open up and weather the storm.

Last couple of days I’m wondering what the duck we are doing.

Yes very strange Skally, i had to go out yesterday to get a new bum gun so thought i'd pop into Global, no chance it was closed. Wifey said lets try a local DIY shop, yep it was open, now WTF is different between the two outlets ?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

That is what was happening to me this morning. Must have tried maybe six times using both firefox and Opera..

I tried again about 10.30 this morning ( firefox I think) and it went straight though. My application is currently "Pending".

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience, try, try and try again. and eventually it will work.

As I used to drink in a bar every afternoon (does anybody still remember doing that, lol?) just 200 yards from Immigration, it was never really a bother to go there when the online system told me to bog off. But after the end of the month, I suspect it'll be full of hordes of the great unwashed again looking for visa extensions and no way am I going near it, so it was worth the perseverance.