COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

1 minute ago, roobob said:

If you get someone  to cut your lawn.... paint your house.... renovate your house.....etc..etc   then you are his employer and he is your employee while he carries out the task.

Any Australian knows this and we do give some leeway to the ring ins who have no idea how things work.

cheers 

Only if he or she is solely employed you. 

Otherwise, you are employing their services for a specific task as a CUSTOMER 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, roobob said:

Yes...you have got it. 

They are getting paid to carry out work...for the duration for the work to get done...they are employees of the one who is paying them.

In this case...the Govt is the employer and Pfizer is the employee.

cheers

I think you having a wind up mate. 😁 I can't take you seriously, I am afraid. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

16 minutes ago, roobob said:

If you get someone  to cut your lawn.... paint your house.... renovate your house.....etc..etc   then you are his employer and he is your employee while he carries out the task.

If you think that then you're a moron. 

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, galenkia said:

What I find bizarre is the supermarket chains moaning about unmasking, but in the ones by me, most of the checkout staff ain't wearing one. 

We are still having to wear one at work, company policy, but wearing is  a rather vague term. 

That is not the case up here in Scotland. Mask wearing is strictly enforced for customers and staff.

On the other hand, mask wearing and high numbers of vaccinated public is not stopping increasing numbers of new covid cases.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I not having a wind up. I have gave my honest opinion on what I believe what the situation is. You do not agree....fair enough. Like I said I understood your view but did I say you were having a wind up...no...I just accepted your view.

To tell the truth...I now understand why some posters have dropped off if they give a view/opinion here which differs to the usual major posters here. As soon as they do...we get the same ones having petty shots at them .... below is a perfect example.

9 minutes ago, fygjam said:

If you think that then you're a moron. 

Well it seems you have got nothing if you have to resort to calling others morons......   good input to the discussion.

cheers

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, roobob said:

...I now understand why some posters have dropped off if they give a view/opinion here which differs to the usual major posters here...

Yes, one definitely requires a thick skin to discuss employment / contractual relationships and things such...

lol. cheers.

9cc6dc94-1ea8-4cdc-8549-0c941941d68c.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Yes, one definitely requires a thick skin to discuss employment / contractual relationships and things such...

lol. cheers.

9cc6dc94-1ea8-4cdc-8549-0c941941d68c.jpg

I haven't...I just gave my opinion..... but going by some... if you have a different view/opinion on any subject...then you are a moron.... so it is easy to see why some posters have dropped off.

cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

What I find bizarre is the supermarket chains moaning about unmasking, but in the ones by me, most of the checkout staff ain't wearing one. 

We are still having to wear one at work, company policy, but wearing is  a rather vague term. 

Same as a Premier Inn we have recently stayed at for a week, notices everywhere that masks must be worn yet not one single member of staff wore one. It is now second nature for me to wear one because I work in a hospice and we must wear one everywhere all shift except obviously on your break. I give a member of staff a lift home most days and our masks remain on in the car even though we are both twice jabbed. I was in my local small Tesco store the other day, all staff are wearing masks but I counted ten customers in the store who were not behaving like responsible citizens and not a dicky bird was said to them. I will continue to wear a mask when ever I have to go into a shop for a long while yet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roobob said:

Well it seems you have got nothing if you have to resort to calling others morons......   good input to the discussion.

Sorry, but it's an honestly held opinion. Something you apparently are in favour of.

Moron has a specific meaning, a foolish, stupid person.

An apt description of someone who thinks I am the employer of all the workers of the power company which supplies my electricity, all those who work for my internet service provider are employees of mine, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Sorry, but it's an honestly held opinion. Something you apparently are in favour of.

Moron has a specific meaning, a foolish, stupid person.

An apt description of someone who thinks I am the employer of all the workers of the power company which supplies my electricity, all those who work for my internet service provider are employees of mine, etc.

Having now established that I employ an unlimited numbers of personnel, I must contract an HR Company to make sure I  deal with all on a fair and legal basis.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bob lt said:

Having now established that I employ an unlimited numbers of personnel, I must contract an HR Company to make sure I  deal with all on a fair and legal basis.

Don't forget, as their employer you are ultimately responsible for all their workplace behaviour including all those sexual harassment claims...

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, roobob said:

Understand what you say.... but for the time that they enter a contract with the Govt.... they are an employee of the Govt until the contract ends.

cheers

Being contracted for work and being an employee are 2 different things entirely. I contract a plumber to fix my leaking pipe, he's not my employee, he is under a legally binding contract to do the work I asked him to do, but I don't set his hours, stipulate his terms and conditions of work or pay him if he is off sick. I cannot sack him, and if I took him off the job, I'd still be contractually bound to pay him.

Pfizer are contracted to the Govt to provide vaccines, they are not govt employees.

Anyway, semantics aside, as @Nightcrawlerstated, C-19 is here to stay, and it will contiue to impact all of our lives. I don't mind wearing a mask, nor do I mind cleaning my hands a few times each day.

My only concern is what appears to be the move towards phasing out cash. My Dad uses cash, he only seldom uses his card and even then under protest and like many of us while I accept that mask wearing etc is to protect others as well, I cannot see that a preference for using contactless really has much effect, especially when those handling the money should also be mindful of keeping their hands clean or wearing gloves.

I might well be wrong, but I've read in some places that a few businesses only accept card payment now, so customers (who have freedom of choice where they shop) are not getting a choice on how they pay.

I spent most of my working life as a sub-contractor working for my own limited company under contract to either airlines or aircraft maintenance organisations.My company had two employees,myself and my wife as company secretary(if ever we got audited she'd have to have a sick relative in Thailand that she'd have to visit lol).

Not being an employee of these companies was very important for tax reasons.

1 hour ago, bob lt said:

I'm worried..... I've got a tree surgeon coming tomorrow to remove two 60ish foot trees,  and I havent got liability insurance, nor have I done a risk assessment.

Oh well, I think I'll just go out for the day and pray the house survives....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

An "independent" group of scientists that regularly criticises the Government for not introducing tougher Covid-19 restrictions is being run by a body which boasted last week that it is "good at creating havoc" and was founded by an activist journalist accused of peddling conspiracy theories about Brexit, The Telegraph can disclose.

The Citizens, founded by Carole Cadwalladr, describes itself as "founders and producers" of Independent Sage, a committee of academics that claims to "provide independent scientific advice".

The Citizens is also currently bringing legal action over ministers' use of apps such as WhatsApp to communicate about official business, and claims to be gathering evidence of "the privatisation of the NHS".

Writing in the body's newsletter, Ms Cadwalladr states that its "mission is impact journalism" and says that it has "been running a handful of experimental projects in stealth mode", including Independent Sage. 

The group's role was highlighted by an NHS doctor who said there was "something quite disingenuous about a supposedly independent scientific group being formed by what appears to be a political organisation".

Independent Sage claimed to have been founded because of a lack of "openness and transparency" by the official Sage committee of government advisors.

Its members regularly criticise the Government's approach to Covid-19, including decisions to ease lockdown restrictions. 

But the doctor suggested that Independent Sage had lacked transparency by failing to fully declare the role of The Citizens. 

"If you want to lobby against a government, fine," the doctor said. "But don’t also claim to be an objective, independent voice." 

Ms Cadwalladr initially founded The Citizens in 2019 to "support further investigation" into alleged offences committed during the Brexit campaign - none of which have been proven, despite police investigations which were later dropped. 

It was financed using money provided by a crowdfunding campaign to raise money for her investigations into pro-Brexit figures, including Arron Banks, the co-founder of the unofficial Leave.EU campaign, who is suing Ms Cadwalladr for libel. 

Ms Cadwalladr, who carried out investigations into the role of Cambridge Analytica, a data firm, in the Brexit campaign, has previously apologised for falsely claiming that Mr Banks had been found to have broken the law.

She has been labelled a conspiracy theorist over her claims that Russia influenced the 2016 referendum.

In recent weeks, Ms Cadwalldr updated her Twitter profile to describe herself as co-founder of The Citizens, which she bills as the "parent" of Independent Sage.

Independent Sage's website simply states that The Citizen organises a "small support team" to help with "public events and media activities". 

'We are already good at creating havoc'

The Citizens' Twitter biography states: "Public service journalism. Founders & producers of @independentSAGE & @FBOversight." 

The Real Facebook Oversight Board is another panel set up by The Citizens. On Tuesday, The Citizens tweeted: "We are a new and still tiny non-profit organisation but we are already good at creating havoc." 

The tweet was deleted after being highlighted by the NHS doctor.

Earlier, in a newsletter on May 17, Ms Cadwalladr wrote of The Citizens: "Our mission is impact journalism and for the last 12 months, we’ve been running a handful of experimental projects in stealth mode: challenging the government’s claim to be ‘following the science’ in the pandemic, launching an emergency intervention against Facebook ahead of the US election, organising MPs to take the government to court and investigating the awarding of government contracts to high-profile Conservative donors." 

The phrase "challenging the government’s claim to be ‘following the science’" contained a "hyperlink" to the Independent Sage website and the post was signed off "Carole x". 

Independent Sage was launched in May 2019 by Sir David King, the former chief scientific adviser, who said the panel of 12 experts would provide "robust, unbiased advice", with meetings broadcast live online.

Speaking ahead of the launch, Sir David said: "Science is fundamentally a system based on peer review. When it comes to scientific advice of any kind, transparency is essential." 

It later transpired that the panel included a series of academics linked to Labour, a race adviser who had described Boris Johnson's administration as a "far-right Conservative government" and the author of a book which claims that the NHS is being privatised by stealth.

Yesterday Ms Cadwalladr said the links between Independent Sage and The Citizens had been "on the organisation's website since Day 1."

"I'm incredibly proud of what the Citizens has done to support the work of the scientists on Independent Sage & the impact it has had," she tweeted. 

A spokesman for Independent Sage said the body had nothing to add to Ms Cadwalladr's remarks.

8 hours ago, galenkia said:

So Monday is the start of 'freedom' in England. Yeah right....... 

Masks still gonna be needed on transport, many shops are doing the same etc. 

Then add in the NHS app fiasco. Anyone else think it's a convenience that its suddenly going into hyper drive and telling everyone to isolate in the run up to opening up?. Transport, shops, factories etc. are being closed due to lack of staff. 

It's lock down by the back door to limit numbers on the streets. And now add in the South African variant that has conveniently appeared to up the panic level. 

Full lock down by September. 

Yes, there's loads of people in the UK that actually want this to fail and we have to go back to restrictions, or still have too much fear in them and didn't want the June easing, never mind this one.

Case numbers are gonna go nuts here, but it's not case numbers we should be looking at, it's hospitalisations and deaths. 

Loads of Politics involved, Boris and to a lesser extent the Tories as a whole were not polling too well before the vaccine roll out due to their earlier near shambolic handling of it, and that's even with Starmer being a let down and Labour still infighting.  There was lots of talk of Boris getting ousted and potentiality Sunak taking over. The successful vaccine roll out seen them claw that all back, Boris the golden boy again. 

But now some comical misjudgements or bad advice like this mornings debacle, or Hancock, has really pissed people off. And if this opening up goes wrong, and the usual politically motivated are really cranking up the pressure now, which will get worse as cases rocket, and Boris ends up buckling and reinstating restrictions, i think he'll be gone, as maybe will the Tories at the next election, dependant on who takes over and how they do re Covid.

Boris and co need to hold their nerve here, but my fear is Boris is known to react to polls and if there's lots of media pressure screaming to do something, he'll relent. I fear more the Government reaction, than to the actual virus.

Too many vested and political interests ...

Edited by Krapow
  • Like 2
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Problem is, given his poor choice of words I'm left wondering WTF was the point he was trying to make.

Back OT, if there was ever a case for natural selection, this has to be it.

Half of the US believes a deadly conspiracy theory

Surely some time (at least once) in the last 17 months there must have been a Red Flag raised for you that would lead you to question the whole covid madness...

Edited by fforest
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Yeah, no doubt about it. 

Someone is pulling this puppet's strings. We may very well be acquainted that person.