The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

14 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I had sciatica 12 years ago , was in complete agony ....a couple of epidurals ( which only worked temporarily ) then a root nerve ganglion block resolved it for me , plus I have been doing Pilates to increase core strength ever since .. good luck it's a b'stard 

Thanks mate. 
I was talking to a friend last night on the phone and he has had it for 6 months 😟 eventually he was offered the root nerve ganglion block route and he’s been fine since. 
Normally sciatica resolves itself in around 6 weeks, but mine has gone on way too long so I’m considering asking my Gp to go down that route if possible.I’m Feckin helpless as I am at the moment and wifey has to do pretty much everything for me. 😩

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Thanks mate. 
I was talking to a friend last night on the phone and he has had it for 6 months 😟 eventually he was offered the root nerve ganglion block route and he’s been fine since. 
Normally sciatica resolves itself in around 6 weeks, but mine has gone on way too long so I’m considering asking my Gp to go down that route if possible.I’m Feckin helpless as I am at the moment and wifey has to do pretty much everything for me. 😩

I've put this on here before but I'll do it again.

In 1995 my missus was in extreme agony here in the UK with sciatica,screaming her head off at times.

All the UK doc's did was give her painkillers & put her on the waiting list for an op.She didn't want that so I put her(in a wheelchair) on an Eva flight to Thailand in PE for the bigger seat.Six weeks later she met me at the airport right as rain bar a permanently numb little toe.On the way back I had the PE seat at her insistence.

Thai massage.

• Like 7
  • Surprised 1

33 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

In 1995 my missus was in extreme agony here in the UK with sciatica,screaming her head off at times.

All the UK doc's did was give her painkillers & put her on the waiting list for an op.She didn't want that so I put her(in a wheelchair) on an Eva flight to Thailand in PE for the bigger seat.Six weeks later she met me at the airport right as rain bar a permanently numb little toe.On the way back I had the PE seat at her insistence.

Thai massage.

Good to hear that. I’m a big fan of massage and not just the happy ending ones. Just too expensive here in the UK. That said we have a massage school near us where you can get lower rates with trainees 

Acupuncture worked for me. Had sciatica twice, once in the UK back in 1999 and once in Thailand about 5 years ago.

In the UK, i was given co co-codomol which is fine but gets you really constipated. I was pretty bad but my company paid for 10 sessions of acupuncture over 5 weeks at University College Hospital off Tottenham Court Road. Probably by the third week I was feeling great.

In Thailand I also had acupuncture, the sciatica was way worse than in the UK and I was in agony. Some private sessions at a private hospital in Khon Kaen, followed by 7 sessions at the public hospital in Khon Kaen worked a treat. 

The sessions at the public hospital were with the same doctor I had visited in the private hospital, she recommended the visits at 1/10th of the price.

I do a lot of walking now and am pretty healthy, no attacks since the last time in Thailand. Occasionally you get a tweak and think, oh dear, my sciatica is coming back but some stretching or floor exercises and a warm bath do the trick.

Worst thing for getting those tweaks, for me, is picking up furniture, which I did recently, I try not to do but impossible not to be involved. Just take it easy and keep exercising.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, AJSP said:

That said we have a massage school near us where you can get lower rates with trainees 

I guess one wouldn't think that trainees would feel that a happy ending would be part of the educational experience. Or is this getting a bit off topic.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Thai massage.

There's an awful lot to be said for Thai Massage done by someone who is really good.

Back in 96 I had a recurring issue with my right shoulder and neck. Each time I turned my head to the right for more than 5 seconds, it would hurt and as I turned my head back straight, my jaw would feel like it was being dragged. It got to a point where it was physically being pulled back each time.

My mate's TGF took me to a grim looking massage lady , told her everything, I also showed her what was happening. About 1 hour, along with a poultice of some concoction applied for 10 min and some Tiger oil, I was 100% cured. Never came back since.

It cost something stupid like 200 baht at the time plus a tip. Looking back, I'd have been happy to pay 20,000 baht.

Now my left shoulder is giving my gyp and for some strange reason my arse is starting to hurt around the coxix area, I feel it is time to find a good lady who can fix my ailments.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Butch said:

There's an awful lot to be said for Thai Massage done by someone who is really good.

Back in 96 I had a recurring issue with my right shoulder and neck. Each time I turned my head to the right for more than 5 seconds, it would hurt and as I turned my head back straight, my jaw would feel like it was being dragged. It got to a point where it was physically being pulled back each time.

My mate's TGF took me to a grim looking massage lady , told her everything, I also showed her what was happening. About 1 hour, along with a poultice of some concoction applied for 10 min and some Tiger oil, I was 100% cured. Never came back since.

It cost something stupid like 200 baht at the time plus a tip. Looking back, I'd have been happy to pay 20,000 baht.

Now my left shoulder is giving my gyp and for some strange reason my arse is starting to hurt around the coxix area, I feel it is time to find a good lady who can fix my ailments.

Sounds like you need TP for your bunghole.

• Haha 5

Aldi had these on special this week @ $9.99 a six pack  (about half the price a 6 pack elsewhere I later found out) - but I found them pretty good.

Went back today and got a couple of cartons.

Good stuff for a low carb beer -

Hahn Ultra.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Glasseye said:

^^^ Must taste like piss.

Its not a bad drop really.

Along the lines of SML which is I believe is 2 gms carb.

My usual beer Beer, VB goes 12 gms Carb - so on a carb basis, I can have about 12 Hahn beers to 1 VB - I enjoy it and still get a "buzz".

( ie 375 ml VB v 330 ml Hahn)

Plus it helps keep my weight down.

Whats not to like ? 😋

Edited by Zeb
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Zeb said:

My usual beer Beer, VB goes 12 gms Carb - so on a carb basis, I can have about 12 Hahn beers to 1 VB - I enjoy it and still get a "buzz".

Whats not to like ? 😋

I'll give it a try if I ever come across it.

2 hours ago, Zeb said:

Whats not to like ? 😋

I drink SML for similar reasons. 

100 calories per bottle, give or take. Think normal beer is around 160 from memory. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Zeb said:

Whats not to like ? 😋

Slightly different branding but i think this might be the same beer.

Screenshot_20231029_201912_Shopee SG.jpg

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Acupuncture worked for me. Had sciatica twice, once in the UK back in 1999 and once in Thailand about 5 years ago.

In the UK, i was given co co-codomol which is fine but gets you really constipated. I was pretty bad but my company paid for 10 sessions of acupuncture over 5 weeks at University College Hospital off Tottenham Court Road. Probably by the third week I was feeling great.

In Thailand I also had acupuncture, the sciatica was way worse than in the UK and I was in agony. Some private sessions at a private hospital in Khon Kaen, followed by 7 sessions at the public hospital in Khon Kaen worked a treat. 

The sessions at the public hospital were with the same doctor I had visited in the private hospital, she recommended the visits at 1/10th of the price.

I do a lot of walking now and am pretty healthy, no attacks since the last time in Thailand. Occasionally you get a tweak and think, oh dear, my sciatica is coming back but some stretching or floor exercises and a warm bath do the trick.

Worst thing for getting those tweaks, for me, is picking up furniture, which I did recently, I try not to do but impossible not to be involved. Just take it easy and keep exercising.

Yep... mine has been under control since i started getting back in shape.

Yet... You always know it is there. 

The key is keeping the lower back muscles strong to support the spine, also walking to keep a good blood flow to the immflmation. Once the immflamation goes down the buldging fluid can begin reduce and to repair itself.

Lifting up stuff doesn't bother me. It is bad posture and sitting in bad positions for too long, along with inactivity.

i drink now singha light (my beer). It is only 97 Kcal a bottle versus 103 Kcal for San Miguel light. Before I Drink Leo which is 160 Kcal a bottle. I lost 10 Kg in 1 year with only eating  a little less every day, and still drinking about 10 small bottles a day

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, Zambo said:

Slightly different branding but i think this might be the same beer.

Hahn Ultra Low carb is another variation of the super dry.

Must ask about Hahn draft next time I'm in a pub.

• Thumbs Up 1

Starting today, back on my virtually zero carb fasting diet to get rid of the excesses of my 9 nights in extremely sunny and nonseasonal hot Benidorm.

No problems flying with my now 7 week old new hip other than setting off the alarms on the body scanner at both Edinburgh and Alicante airports. 🤣

My hip stood up well although I was somewhat nervous in getting on and particularly off the sunbeds round the pool as they are so low down.

The resort, particularly the British Strip, was heaving. Every Nightclub with hourly live performances by tribute acts and politically incorrect comics was standing room only.

Fortunately, as I have no pretensions of class, I enjoyed my nostalgic return to the scene of my first overseas holiday all those years ago.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Starting today, back on my virtually zero carb fasting diet to get rid of the excesses of my 9 nights in extremely sunny and nonseasonal hot Benidorm.

No problems flying with my now 7 week old new hip other than setting off the alarms on the body scanner at both Edinburgh and Alicante airports. 🤣

My hip stood up well although I was somewhat nervous in getting on and particularly off the sunbeds round the pool as they are so low down.

The resort, particularly the British Strip, was heaving. Every Nightclub with hourly live performances by tribute acts and politically incorrect comics was standing room only.

Fortunately, as I have no pretensions of class, I enjoyed my nostalgic return to the scene of my first overseas holiday all those years ago.

Welcome home to the cold and wet, glad you had a good trip and the hip is still ok.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Zeb said:

Hahn Ultra Low carb is another variation of the super dry.

Must ask about Hahn draft next time I'm in a pub.

20231030_213257.jpg

NUTRITION

Vol.         330ml

Carbs      2.2g

Calories. 99

Alcohol.   4.6%

PRICE

Bottle.      87Baht

Package.  2 x 24 bottles

(reduced due to expires on 7 Nov. Not bad for Singapore)

TASTE

Flavour     Interesting, good

Temp.       Colder the better 

Overshot on the quantity a bit thinking i had a bargain. Overall good first impression and the calorie count is pretty good for a beer.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've had a bit of a rough go lately, completely out of the blue. A couple weeks back, I had a pretty severe pain in my right leg, going from the calf up to the back of my thigh. Started feeling it on a Wednesday afternoon and by Thursday night, couldn't sleep a wink.

Called my VA help nurse (Veteran's Administration for military vets) on that Friday morning and after answering some questions, advised me to go the the ER at the VA hospital. 5 hrs later, having had xrays and an ultrasound, I was diagnosed with Deep Vein Thrombosis, as I had a blood clot.

Was placed on blood thinning medication and Tylenol for the pain to be used as necessary, and for which there was considerable for the next several days, but now after 2 weeks, the blood thinning pills seem to be working as the leg pain has lessened considerably, as well as my taking Tylenol going from 2 tablets 3x per day, to twice per day at the same time I take a blood thinner pill.

The doctor seems to think the long flight home from Kenya in late Sept, three flights over 22-23 hrs, was the trigger that set the clot in motion to expand. I was advised in no uncertain terms, no long flights or road trips in a vehicle for a 3-6 month time period. What sucks is that only a week earlier, I had booked my flights and accommodations for a Thailand-Kenya return from Dec 28- Feb 5, and will only receive a partial refund on the whole lot. Was very much looking forward to getting back to Patts, seeing some of my old friends and mates from previous years travels and whatever else struck my fancy, but will listen to the doctors orders, take my meds, keep my leg elevated when sitting on the sofa or easy chair, and slowly increase my exercise by walking around the mobile home park where I live. It's about a 3/4ths mile distance, and have been doing 1 lap around twice a day at a modest pace. I'm slowly building up to a quicker pace and next week will extend my walks to 2x around two times each day.

Have had my medication refilled into January, as I'll go from 2 15 mg pills per day to a single 20mg pill once per day. On a good note, since June, when I departed for the summer, until my most recent doctor's appt this past Monday, have dropped 14 lbs, I guess roughly 6.5 kilos, and am looking to drop more by next June, (270 lbs is the goal, was 302 at the doc's office) which is when I'm shooting for a return to LOS.

Oh, though it will affect the pocketbook, from here on out, all trans-continental flights for me will be in business class which will allow for much more room to stretch, to walk around, to sleep....etc. But each trip, maybe 2 per year, will be several weeks to a few months, so to mitigate the cost.

Fortunately, it appears I'm on the road to recovery.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Sad 5

46 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I've had a bit of a rough go lately, completely out of the blue. A couple weeks back, I had a pretty severe pain in my right leg, going from the calf up to the back of my thigh. Started feeling it on a Wednesday afternoon and by Thursday night, couldn't sleep a wink.

Called my VA help nurse (Veteran's Administration for military vets) on that Friday morning and after answering some questions, advised me to go the the ER at the VA hospital. 5 hrs later, having had xrays and an ultrasound, I was diagnosed with Deep Vein Thrombosis, as I had a blood clot.

Was placed on blood thinning medication and Tylenol for the pain to be used as necessary, and for which there was considerable for the next several days, but now after 2 weeks, the blood thinning pills seem to be working as the leg pain has lessened considerably, as well as my taking Tylenol going from 2 tablets 3x per day, to twice per day at the same time I take a blood thinner pill.

The doctor seems to think the long flight home from Kenya in late Sept, three flights over 22-23 hrs, was the trigger that set the clot in motion to expand. I was advised in no uncertain terms, no long flights or road trips in a vehicle for a 3-6 month time period. What sucks is that only a week earlier, I had booked my flights and accommodations for a Thailand-Kenya return from Dec 28- Feb 5, and will only receive a partial refund on the whole lot. Was very much looking forward to getting back to Patts, seeing some of my old friends and mates from previous years travels and whatever else struck my fancy, but will listen to the doctors orders, take my meds, keep my leg elevated when sitting on the sofa or easy chair, and slowly increase my exercise by walking around the mobile home park where I live. It's about a 3/4ths mile distance, and have been doing 1 lap around twice a day at a modest pace. I'm slowly building up to a quicker pace and next week will extend my walks to 2x around two times each day.

Have had my medication refilled into January, as I'll go from 2 15 mg pills per day to a single 20mg pill once per day. On a good note, since June, when I departed for the summer, until my most recent doctor's appt this past Monday, have dropped 14 lbs, I guess roughly 6.5 kilos, and am looking to drop more by next June, (270 lbs is the goal, was 302 at the doc's office) which is when I'm shooting for a return to LOS.

Oh, though it will affect the pocketbook, from here on out, all trans-continental flights for me will be in business class which will allow for much more room to stretch, to walk around, to sleep....etc. But each trip, maybe 2 per year, will be several weeks to a few months, so to mitigate the cost.

Sorry to hear that mate, I always wear flight socks in the hope to avoid that, but shit happens. 

Hope you recover soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I knew exactly what this post was about after reading the first paragraph of 3 lines.

Been there 3 times. First couple of times was my own fault, falling asleep on long haul from Thailand, and luckily enough the clot developed when i could get seen, diagnosed and sorted within a few hours in our wonderful NHS, and not on arrival in Thailand.

So the first 2 times it was 'reactive', there was a reason why, same place and probably same clot, behind the knee, and i resisted going on continual blood thinning medication. I stopped once advised the clot would either be gone or small enough to not bother me. I just asked for the 2 injections to be prescribed a week or so before going on any long haul, after i explained my wife was Thai, and not flying to Thailand was not an option. They worked fine, i injected them once onboard in the toilet, one going, one coming back, little sting into the stomach. 

But then i was hitting the gym hard, and got the same pain you described and i knew, but told myself couldn't be, hadn't been on a flight or anything that would have brought it on, must be from the gym. It got progressively worse till the point of i was hanging onto things, couldn't walk, red hot pain. So off to A&E i went. It was the time of covid, hospital was empty, seen, blood taken, ultrasound, diagnosed, medication given, injection then tablets, all in an afternoon. 

The Consultant said to me this was the 3rd time, and no 'reason' for it like the past 2 times, sometimes there is no reason. He said i think it's time you go on continual medication, as this will happen again, if it travels to your lungs, heart etc, you could be f***d. So reluctantly i agreed. This clot was in my thigh, not behind my knee as before. 

The clot could have came from covid, i had it for the first time a couple of months before, i had a test via my work that showed antibodies, and said i had it at some time recently. It was before vaccines, in November of 2020, i posted about it on here. But i didn't know then, or now, just know there's evidence covid causes clots. They offered to do lots of blood tests if i wanted to try and find out why it happened, which i agreed to. They took absolutely loads of blood vials from me. Rang a couple of months later, saying they didn't find any reason what it happened, but in all likelihood it would again, so stay on the tablets.

What tablets are you prescribed? 

The first 2 times i was given warfarin, which was a nightmare as in i had to go for regular blood tests to check my blood was at the right level. 

But this third time, and what i'm on now, is Apixaban, 5mls twice a day. Only get my blood checked once a year. 

You probably could still go with the injections, but not a wise thing to do when a Doctor says don't, and you couldn't get insured, going against a Doctors advice. But like me, you'll still be able to fly wherever the Doc says, with whatever medication, and insured no problem as well, albeit a bit more expensive. 

I don't notice anything since i started the Apixaban, you're be fine as well Smoothie, batting away libs like flies as per usual :default_biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1