What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

Guessing money must be involved,  otherwise you are only cheating yourself. 

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

Lots of money , saw the video clip yesterday, other guys were going ballistic 555

You better not be feeding you caught  fish your barbecued sausages, Stew

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, tko said:

Packing my tools and various parts for our biannual trip to our house in Buriram tomorrow.  I'll be on maintenance and upgrades duty while the Mrs and kids visit with family.

How do you get on with the house empty for long periods Mrs is just finishing the last parts of her mansion in phanomdongrak not that far from you?  Any or much damage theft

1 minute ago, Nickrock said:

How do you get on with the house empty for long periods Mrs is just finishing the last parts of her mansion in phanomdongrak not that far from you?  Any or much damage theft

We're just under Khao Phanom Rung in the Prakhon Chai district. 

The windows have burglar bars and the doors are all connected to a GSM alarm system which will notify us if there is a breach, along with sounding a loud alarm and letting us listen to whatever is happening in the house.  Then we send her father or another relative over to check it out.  That happened once but it turned out a door sensor had fallen off.  Unfortunately we're also notified by the alarm system when power is lost and again when it's restored.  That's a frequent occurrence upcountry so we get those messages nearly every month.

The place is also surrounded by a two meter gated wall, which starts at the top of the one meter of earth we raised for building, so even getting to the house requires some work.  We've had no thefts in the four years since we moved away.

For maintenance we've had a pipe crack once (now we shut water to the house while we're gone) and had some overhang facia fall.  Also on our visits I update batteries in the automatic lights and alarm sensors.  This time we're also bringing solar street lights to add on the driveway and new kitchen faucet she wants.

The main issue is dust.  Now she covers everything in sheets when we leave and a day or two before we return gets some friends/family to make a run through the house sweeping and mopping.  We're able to disarm and rearm the alarm by phone from here, so that they can do that.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just got back from renewing my Philippine driver's licence. You now have to do an on-line exam getting 50%+, as well as a medical certificate. The good thing is that with ASEAN reciprocal agreement I can use in Thailand for 90 days with no IDP. Funny part is that it's valid till Oct 2031......when I will be 86.!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, tko said:

We're just under Khao Phanom Rung in the Prakhon Chai district. 

The windows have burglar bars and the doors are all connected to a GSM alarm system which will notify us if there is a breach, along with sounding a loud alarm and letting us listen to whatever is happening in the house.  Then we send her father or another relative over to check it out.  That happened once but it turned out a door sensor had fallen off.  Unfortunately we're also notified by the alarm system when power is lost and again when it's restored.  That's a frequent occurrence upcountry so we get those messages nearly every month.

The place is also surrounded by a two meter gated wall, which starts at the top of the one meter of earth we raised for building, so even getting to the house requires some work.  We've had no thefts in the four years since we moved away.

For maintenance we've had a pipe crack once (now we shut water to the house while we're gone) and had some overhang facia fall.  Also on our visits I update batteries in the automatic lights and alarm sensors.  This time we're also bringing solar street lights to add on the driveway and new kitchen faucet she wants.

The main issue is dust.  Now she covers everything in sheets when we leave and a day or two before we return gets some friends/family to make a run through the house sweeping and mopping.  We're able to disarm and rearm the alarm by phone from here, so that they can do that.

One point regarding individuals responding to burglar alarms. I know this may sound a little bit "nit picky" but entering into a location where an alarm has been tripped can be dangerous. Not only for the possibility that a burglar(s) could still be on the premises, but the police or others responding could take the well doer as the bad guy. 

Always best for the primary responder to wait nearby until the police or proper security service checks the place. The primary responder can meet the police and assist with gaining entry, but not until they have identified themselves properly and are in a safe position.

IMO, alarms are only good if all the right things are done in relation to them. In other words approaching an alarm response unwisely can lead to personal injury or even liability rather than just a simple property loss.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2

Just booked hotel in deepest darkest Isaan 9 days of showering from a water barrel, I'm over it been staying at in laws head to pattaya tomorrow night. The Mrs is coming down for 2-3 days she's not been there for over well over decade

Damm that hot shower felt awesome and I feel clean