What did you learn today?

fygjam

4 hours ago, fforest said:

What I have learned if you don't wash the dishes they will really pile up in the sink...

I figure if I just look at the dirty dishes a few more days they will eventually wash themselves....

No need to do housework, After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse” - Quentin Crisp

He also said you only need to wash the dishes after eating fish.

53 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Ouch !

@galenkia probably hadn't paid his BBC Licensing fee.

Home Tasering is the initial level of approach by the BBC. Advanced levels include garroting, genital mutilation and continuous audio version of the Guardian being played over loud speakers... Although the latter may not have the required effect on some .....

• Haha 2

Learned some details about the Nana Plaza area from the video below, but some of the info may be wrong. I've always heard the family of Lek Nana owned a lot of land in the lower Sukhumvit area long before the 1960s, which is when the video claims the family acquired it.  

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

The view from the Nana Hotel of what is now Nana Plaza,taken in 1981.

IMG_0014 copy.jpg

That pic must have been taken earlier than 1981.  Nana Shopping Center, the forerunner of Nana Entertainment Plaza, was in operation in the late 1970s.  It was originally a U-shaped, three-story structure with shops, travel agencies, a few restaurants, pharmacy and a beauty parlor, none of which were very successful. 

Lucky Luke's, a beer bar  at the entrance to Nana Shopping Center, was the first drinking  bar. The first three go go bars moved there in 1982. 

Nana_Plaza_Shopping_Center.jpg

By the early 1990s, it had become NEP.

Nana_Entertainment_Plaza.jpg

Sign of the times-  Lucky Luke's has become a weed shop, Lucky Luke's Tiki Joint.

Lucky-Lukes-Tiki-Joint.jpg

Evil

• Great Info 1

18 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

That pic must have been taken earlier than 1981.  Nana Shopping Center, the forerunner of Nana Entertainment Plaza, was in operation in the late 1970s.  It was originally a U-shaped, three-story structure with shops, travel agencies, a few restaurants, pharmacy and a beauty parlor, none of which were very successful. 

Lucky Luke's, a beer bar  at the entrance to Nana Shopping Center, was the first drinking  bar. The first three go go bars moved there in 1982. 

Sign of the times-  Lucky Luke's has become a weed shop, Lucky Luke's Tiki Joint.

Evil

Wrong - I took the photo myself during my first trip to Thailand which was in May 1981.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Wrong - I took the photo myself during my first trip to Thailand which was in May 1981.

The angle is a bit deceiving,  is it possible that the Nana entrance could be slightly left of the picture?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

When Nike released the first Air Jordan trainers they expected to sell 100’000 pairs in the first year.

They sold 1.5 million in six weeks.

Original Air Jordans in mint condition are worth over $20,000.

They used to shoot each other on the West Side for those things.

• Surprised 1

8 hours ago, boydeste said:

The angle is a bit deceiving,  is it possible that the Nana entrance could be slightly left of the picture?

eurekasmall.jpg   That has to be the answer. 

The entrance to the Nana Shopping Center was narrow and could easily have been hidden by the angle.

Evil

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

I learned that if I accidentally turn the temperature control knob in my fridge to "6", overnight the fridge becomes a freezer. 

I had to defrost the milk for my first cup of tea of the day!

I had a fridge like that, turn it up full and it would freeze things.

23 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Redundancy or just booted ? 

Booted.

Seems to be they decided to sort out their staff after giving us 6 to 8 months to see if we’re suitable. Being a new site for the company it was a whole new hiring process.

Being a forklift driver I’m pretty valuable to them, plus my productivity is high.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6