Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

New year, new roll call of those who have passed this year. RIP

Anita Pointer of The Pointer Sisters dies at age 74

Anita Pointer, one of the founding members of the R&B group The Pointer Sisters, has died at age 74, according to her publicist Roger Neal.

Pointer passed away Saturday at her home in Los Angeles where she was surrounded by her family, Neal said in a statement to CNN. The cause of death was cancer, he said.

“While we are deeply saddened by the loss of Anita, we are comforted in knowing she is now with her daughter, Jada and her sisters June & Bonnie and at peace,” Pointer’s family said in a statement. “Heaven is a more loving beautiful place with Anita there.”

“She was the one that kept all of us close and together for so long. Her love of our family will live on in each of us,” the statement said, while also asking that the family’s privacy be respected “during this period of grief and loss.”

The four Pointer Sisters began singing together more than 50 years ago in their hometown church in Oakland, California, where their father ministered. Bonnie Pointer and her youngest sister, June, made their professional singing debut as a duo in 1969. They later recruited older sisters Anita and Ruth to join them, before releasing their first album together in 1973.

The group won their first Grammy Award for their crossover hit, “Fairytale,” in 1974. They are also known for hits like “Slow Hand,” “Neutron Dance,” and “Jump.”

The group won three total Grammy Awards and had 13 US Top 20 hits between 1973 and 1985.

They put out some great stuff. 

Instant memory recall hits me for that time whenever I hear one of their songs, especially this one....

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

That one really belongs to last years list.

Good catch. I was going by the date of the news article which had no mention of the actual date of death.

Edited to add: Doh, it did mention Saturday. Gotta stop skimming articles and improve my reading comprehension.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Just came across a site called The DeathList that a committee decides which celebrities are likely to die sometime during the coming year. Glad I'm not a celebrity. Hate to see my name on the list.

image.png

That Kissinger passing will be a day of celebration. Fucking c**t.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Him not being on the list may mean a couple of things, but it doesn't mean he won't die (no guarantee either unfortunately).

Tbh Freee... I don't wish anyone dead. But if there is one person of whom I know I absolutely loathe its him. He's the most dislikeable brit I know of. 

• Thumbs Up 1

English golfer Barry Lane gone at only 62. Was not a big name in North America, but I was a golf nut & remember him for winning a lucrative Match Play in the Arizona desert in 1995. 693 starts on European Tour plus many more on Seniors’, I’m sure this is big news in UK….heard he was a real gentleman, this is far too young. Only thing I found said “ after a short illness”

image.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Surprised 1

33 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Reading your own obituary must be a bit unsettling, especially when you still have a heartbeat.

Not an obituary, but a RIP flag on my classmates.com entry which my brother brought to my attention. My first and last name are common enough that a fellow HS classmate saw an obituary for my name and assumed it was me.

As for the Death List, if it were a wish list I would nominate Putin for the no. 1 slot.

47 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Not an obituary, but a RIP flag on my classmates.com entry which my brother brought to my attention. My first and last name are common enough that a fellow HS classmate saw an obituary for my name and assumed it was me.

As for the Death List, if it were a wish list I would nominate Putin for the no. 1 slot.

That reminds me of my alma mater. I went to a very small university, was high school population, under 2,000 students. Very hard partying school, I wasn’t the most social guy but I soon got into the binge drinking. Anyway, seeing as I wasn’t so popular, it was shocking to see the number of people I personally knew who have passed WAY too young. I’ll try to list some:

While I was there in 1996, girl who worked the dining hall shot herself over depression, early 20’s

A guy from Montreal who had gone back to school at 25, died at 31 from leukaemia 

Lady I knew, brilliant student, died in a car crash in mountains near Vancouver, only 28 I think

My residence assistant my first year in 1995, another crash near Ottawa a decade ago, must have been 35 or so

Again from that year in residence, there was a guy from near Vancouver, rich kid I believe, think he went to same boarding school as NBA star Steve Nash. Of all the coincidences, I’m perusing the Internet one day looking at a pilot’s photos blog. Then I realize this is Billy from school. Then the blog’s photos end and his wife took over. Turns out he bumped his head one day, thought it was vertigo, turned out to be aggressive brain cancer. Gone at 36, apparently even though it’s not spoken of, pilots have a 1000% higher chance of getting this(from the sun proximity I assume)

That being said, many success stories too. You don’t need an Ivy League education to make it big. My mate who shared the pilot’s bathroom, is one of Vancouver’s leading cardiologists. 2 other guys I knew that were at best B -minus-students, are in finance making 500K-1M+++. 

I think my problem was the mid-90’s there was a huge recession. I thought I would never get anywhere with just average grades on a Bachelor’s degree, I knew engineering students who applied at 40 places just to land a job, which given exchange rates at the time, was maybe only £15-20K.…..really

Obviously never give up, times change and you should always strive for better. Too bad I learned that much too late in life

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

[...]

pilots have a 1000% higher chance of getting this(from the sun proximity I assume)

1000% Is ten times, and the chance is pretty small, so ten times as much still is small enough not to worry about.

On 1/1/2023 at 7:28 PM, forcebwithu said:

Just came across a site called The DeathList that a committee decides which celebrities are likely to die sometime during the coming year. Glad I'm not a celebrity. Hate to see my name on the list.

image.png

I noticed 

15  7 Jimmy Carter 98 Ex US President

Was on the death list for 2022......He had brain cancer a few years ago and should have for sure been dead by 2022....But after he spent a few months in the hospital...........Like magic he was cured......People in their 90s brain cancer have about a zero chance of survival....

I highly highly suspect, the elites are keeping some very advanced healthcare for themselves and it's only shared with the chosen few....

Some of these major power players seem to live for a very long time and not look half bad well into their 90s....

David Rockefeller was a prime example of this....It was like he was getting something extra that gave him pretty good health till he was over 100 years old...

It seems just being mega rich is not enough to get some of the secret sauce....Being rich helps but having the right connections seems to be more important... 

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fforest said:

I noticed 

15  7 Jimmy Carter 98 Ex US President

Was on the death list for 2022......He had brain cancer a few years ago and should have for sure been dead by 2022....But after he spent a few months in the hospital...........Like magic he was cured......People in their 90s brain cancer have about a zero chance of survival....

I highly highly suspect, the elites are keeping some very advanced healthcare for themselves and it's only shared with the chosen few....

Some of these major power players seem to live for a very long time and not look half bad well into their 90s....

David Rockefeller was a prime example of this....It was like he was getting something extra that gave him pretty good health till he was over 100 years old...

It seems just being mega rich is not enough to get some of the secret sauce....Being rich helps but having the right connections seems to be more important... 

Nothing mysterious about it. Those with the money and health resources can live a lot longer than those without. In end, and in the timeline of the cosmos, does it really matter if they outlast the have nots by a decade or even two?

• Like 1