COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

That is a very big if.

A couple of months ago i'd of agreed with you, but it getting smaller all the time, with every positive sets of data re vaccines.

Watched a news clip of Israel earlier, life getting back to normal, great real time data on the success of the vaccines

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

Yes, you're right about that - but it's still nice to see some positive comments being made, we need some kind of good news for a change...

If anything, restrictions might even be eased earlier than that, that's from the scientists, Government trying to keep a lid on expectations. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of good news!

I just received an email earlier today from the US Dept of Veterans Affairs regarding Covid vaccine appts. I called the number and spoke with a nice young lady who then scheduled me for my first shot this Saturday afternoon using the Phizer vaccine. I'll then be scheduled for the follow up 2nd jab 3 weeks later.

I figured being a military vet I would be eligible earlier than if I waited for my group to be eligible among the general public, but I honestly was thinking an appt with the VA was still 6-8 weeks out, not this quick!

I'm quite happy at this turn of events, as well as getting the news that Irish pubs are slated to reopen at a later date and that pub hours on Sundays will be extended, maybe to whatever they are during the week.

Hmm....I might start thinking about an Aer Lingus return to the Emerald Isle for possibly Sept if things continue as they seem to be.

Good news indeed!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/24/2021 at 10:19 AM, Toy Boy said:

China's vaccination programme has stalled for several reasons, unless they start jabbing a lot more people there won't be any mass-tourism coming to save Thailand's bacon from there...

This week's Economist has a good article explaining the situation, I've attached it as a two-page PDF file.

EconomistUS - 20 Feb-pages-35-36.pdf 1.56 MB · 6 downloads

A lot of truth in that statement .... it still surprises me they will let Chinese ( a couple of articles I have read ) to come and restrict other countries of the world ....

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

5 hours ago, Krapow said:

A couple of months ago i'd of agreed with you, but it getting smaller all the time, with every positive sets of data re vaccines.

Watched a news clip of Israel earlier, life getting back to normal, great real time data on the success of the vaccines

If anything, restrictions might even be eased earlier than that, that's from the scientists, Government trying to keep a lid on expectations. 

Yea, this doesn't surprise me .... What did Ralph Emanuel say ?   .. Don't let a crisis go to waste ?

On 2/23/2021 at 7:07 PM, Britboy said:

Can't remember the precise year, but around 8 years ago I saw Styx, who were backing up Boston, at Red Rocks, Colorado. Brilliant concert, Styx were awesome and what a venue for a concert. Outstanding.

I grew up where the Jazz and Blues clubs in NY were just fantastic .... that is one thing I miss about my life now ...

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

4 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Yea, this doesn't surprise me .... What did Ralph Emanuel say ?   .. Don't let a crisis go to waste ?

There is no possible motive for them to let it go on longer than necessary, economies are being damaged by it all which governments will have to deal with. They simply want this to be the last lockdown hence the caution.

• Thumbs Up 2

My greatest concern is that C19 does not mutate into a far more deadly strain, possibly this winter. 

Viruses have a habit of mutating when the are under attack. But hopefully the vaccination. Program will be able to keep up with such a thing and vaccines will be modified. 

The only problem with that of course is timing, and another massive vaccine roll out 

For now, it's going well, a decline in infections and hospitalisations plus over 15 million vaccinations so far. 

Covid won't give up without a fight but we are starting to win. Roll on June and let's hope that there a no major glitches along the way. 

6 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I grew up where the Jazz and Blues clubs in NY were just fantastic .... that is one thing I miss about my life now ...

Yes mate, can't beat a live concert in a great venue . . .

I spent a fair bit of time in New Orleans - some of the Jazz clubs were fantastic. Not my favourite genre of music, but really enjoyed the atmosphere generated.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

From Sky News today:

There were 68,796 deaths registered in England last month, which was 15,685 more than the January average between 2015 and 2019 - a total 29.5% rise.

A similar 25.6% increase was seen for the same period in Wales, which registered 4,431 deaths in January. That's a total of 904 deaths higher than the five-year average.

Hey...all you macho old farts getting your shots...this gal's got you beat!

This 105-Year-Old Beat Covid. She Credits Gin-Soaked Raisins.
Lucia DeClerck, the oldest resident of her New Jersey nursing home, tested positive for the virus on her 105th birthday, one day after her second vaccine shot.

"... surviving the coronavirus, she said, also may have had something to do with another staple: the nine gin-soaked golden raisins she has eaten each morning for most of her life.

“Fill a jar,” she explained. “Nine raisins a day after it sits for nine days.” ...

23njvirus-olderpatient-superJumbo-v2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Great Info 1

5 hours ago, Krapow said:

No, they're trying to manage expectations to people don't just say f**k it now, stop with restrictions early before the vaccines properly bed in to make a substantial and sustainable difference. 

It boggles my mind that some people actually think the Government want to wreck the economy, pay people money for doing nothing, put restrictions in that will make them deeply unpopular come the next election.  Like said above, there is no possible reason to do this, they want this to be the last lockdown, so the caution.

Anyone who seriously thinks that Boris the feelgood libertarian, who was elected with a massive majority to do pretty much anything he wanted, put in the restrictions for any other reason that he thought the death toll would be catastrophic, the NHS would collapse under the numbers, and the Country implode without the restrictions, is off their head!

Govts do not pay people for nothing... they pay people from your money,... the taxpayer.

The last Lockdown...you reckon.... 555

cheers 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, roobob said:

555..... look at your own country first for corruption and get that in order before pointing the finger...555

cheers

The question wasn't about my country. It was about code not understanding why the Thai  government would bow to the Chinese and let them come in under these current circumstances but not let other countries enter. And I pointed out that it was all tied to money and where it went.

Corruption nows no borders.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

4 hours ago, roobob said:

Govts do not pay people for nothing... they pay people from your money,... the taxpayer.

The last Lockdown...you reckon.... 555

cheers 

Yes the last lockdown proper with the vaccines rolled out what they gonna do keep printing money??

I can honestly say I'm proud at the way the U.K has pulled together when it mattered with the vaccines and the hope has returned and is a massive reality.

Watch what's happened in Israel unreal..

You're in Thailand Bob , you have no idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, roomark said:

Yes the last lockdown proper with the vaccines rolled out what they gonna do keep printing money??

I can honestly say I'm proud at the way the U.K has pulled together when it mattered with the vaccines and the hope has returned and is a massive reality.

Watch what's happened in Israel unreal..

You're in Thailand Bob , you have no idea. 

Me too, it's been an incredible effort so far!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

11 hours ago, Krapow said:

No, they're trying to manage expectations to people don't just say f**k it now, stop with restrictions early before the vaccines properly bed in to make a substantial and sustainable difference. 

It boggles my mind that some people actually think the Government want to wreck the economy, pay people money for doing nothing, put restrictions in that will make them deeply unpopular come the next election.  Like said above, there is no possible reason to do this, they want this to be the last lockdown, so the caution.

Anyone who seriously thinks that Boris the feelgood libertarian, who was elected with a massive majority to do pretty much anything he wanted, put in the restrictions for any other reason that he thought the death toll would be catastrophic, the NHS would collapse under the numbers, and the Country implode without the restrictions, is off their head!

Meanwhile Stamford Hill in Hackney has the highest infection rate in the world just ahead of a tribe in Manaus Brazil @ 75%.

Tonight is the feats of Purim so expect it to rocket again as it did in 2020 when the old Orthodox Charedi and Lubavitch go door to door celebrating.........

Oy Vey !!!