COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

51 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

The 200,000 deaths model from Imperial College London grossly over-estimated the number of deaths and infections. That's why the Swedes completely discounted it and struck the right balance between protecting the elderly and vulnerable from physical harm, and protecting the rest of the population from economic chaos, which inevitably leads to physical harm through increased rates of violence, suicide and alcoholism.

Yes, that's why you should be one of the 'vulnerable' people who should be cocooned at home. Nobody is seriously saying lets just carry on as normal, it's about finding the right balance between protecting the 'at risk' groups, and allowing the economy to function is as normal a manner as possible.

The ONS study found they had three or more serious underlying conditions, mostly heart and respiratory problems as well as dementia and other serious illnesses. I know being a Hun is a pretty serious debilitating condition but I don't think it puts you at risk.

LOL.  

you are talking without lockdown...thats why it had to be done

Best estimate with lockdown...40 thousand deathsUK

Thats why the Swedes are Turnips ..cases per million are rising exponentially there 

Its casesand deaths per million that is the perninent metric

2 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

you are talking without lockdown...thats why it had to be done

Best estimate with lockdown...40 thousand deathsUK

Thats why the Swedes are Turnips ..cases per million are rising exponentially there 

Its casesand deaths per million that is the perninent metric

Nope not at all.

There was no way of getting out of this without people dying.

This disease isn't going away soon.

The Swedes sensibly came up with a plan to protect the vulnerable and to keep the economy going.

There is no way to protect people from dying from this.

4 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Nope not at all.

The Swedes sensibly came up with a plan to protect the vulnerable and to keep the economy going.

If medical facilities aren't swamped then deaths will be less , we saw in Italy they were making decisions based on age as to who would go to hospital and which ones would get to use the ventilators ... that's the whole point of the lockdown to flatten the curve and reduce the impact on hospitals ...

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

If medical facilities aren't swamped then deaths will be less , we saw in Italy they were making decisions based on age as to who would go to hospital and which ones would get to use the ventilators ... that's the whole point of the lockdown to flatten the curve and reduce the impact on hospitals ...

There was already enough provisions made to ensure the NHS wouldn't be swamped. The lockdown has kept healthy people at home, who even if they contracted Covid, would almost certainly have a mild illness that does not require hospitalisation. There was no need to impose such a draconian lockdown, many nations are now coming to this realisation. 

47 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Nope not at all.

Its a partial answer there are no absolutes,people will die  ,but it you want total carnage with literally hundreds of thousands of deaths then dcfc for PM...and likely no uptick in economic activity coz everyone is afraid to go out

This has to be suitably nuanced as far as is possible.The public need to believe they will be 95% safe if they reengage...otherwise they wont

Edited by Ivan the terrible

43 minutes ago, monkey_omelette said:

If ya get knocked down by a bus and they test you for Coronavirus and you had it would it still count as a Corona death?

Yes, at least in the USA ... I heard the female Dr. Brix ( spelling ? ) say that all deaths now would be classified at the Wuhan Virus

10 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

There's something not quite right with this imo 🤣

I remember reading somewhere that while the local unemployed might be willing to take the job as a fruit picker, they would take time to come up to the speed and efficiency of the migrant workers. Since speed and efficiency at a task is a measure of skill, it wouldn't be unreasonable to use "fruit picker" and "skilled worker" in the same sentence.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

Its a partial answer there are no absolutes,people will die  ,but it you want total carnage with literally hundreds of thousands of deaths then dcfc for PM...and likely no uptick in economic activity coz everyone is afraid to go out

This has to be suitably nuanced as far as is possible.The public need to believe they will be 95% safe if they reengage...otherwise they wont

Can you provide any evidence to your claim that hundreds of thousands deaths would occur if the elderly and vulnerable were cocooned at home and the rest of society was allowed to continue with the appropriate safety precautions in place. Absolutely outrageous claim with no solid evidence for proof whatsoever.

Edited by dcfc2007

5 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Yes, at least in the USA ... I heard the female Dr. Brix ( spelling ? ) say that all deaths now would be classified at the Wuhan Virus

What about all the folks who have (will) OD on various opioids?

There was a big uptick after the 2008 Great Recession. This time could be even worse.

Just now, lazarus said:

What about all the folks who have (will) OD on various opioids?

There was a big uptick after the 2008 Great Recession. This time could be even worse.

Based on what this Doctor said ( In a Trump Coronavirus Briefing ) ...

ALL deaths ( ODs included ) will be recorded as a Wuhan Virus death .... I heard with my own ears ... I don't know if they have changed the policy ...

Yes, what you say I suspect to be true ... ( this time it could be worse )

10 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Based on what this Doctor said ( In a Trump Coronavirus Briefing ) ...

ALL deaths ( ODs included ) will be recorded as a Wuhan Virus death .... I heard with my own ears ... I don't know if they have changed the policy ...

Yes, what you say I suspect to be true ... ( this time it could be worse )

I think you have to actually have Covid-19 as well!

DR. DEBORAH BIRX: So, I think in this country we've taken a very liberal approach to mortality. And I
think the reporting here has been pretty straightforward over the last five to six weeks. Prior to that when
there wasn't testing in January and February that's a very different situation and unknown.

There are other countries that if you had a preexisting condition and let's say the virus caused you to go to the
ICU and then have a heart or kidney problem some countries are recording as a heart issue or a kidney issue
and not a COVID-19 death. Right now we are still recording it and we will I mean the great thing about
having forms that come in and a form that has the ability to market as COVID-19 infection the intent is right
now that those if someone dies with COVID-19 we are counting that as a COVID-19 death.

Edited by fygjam

45 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I think you have to actually have Covid-19 as well!

DR. DEBORAH BIRX: So, I think in this country we've taken a very liberal approach to mortality. And I
think the reporting here has been pretty straightforward over the last five to six weeks. Prior to that when
there wasn't testing in January and February that's a very different situation and unknown.

There are other countries that if you had a preexisting condition and let's say the virus caused you to go to the
ICU and then have a heart or kidney problem some countries are recording as a heart issue or a kidney issue
and not a COVID-19 death. Right now we are still recording it and we will I mean the great thing about
having forms that come in and a form that has the ability to market
as COVID-19 infection the intent is right
now that those if someone dies with COVID-19 we are counting that as a COVID-19 death.

Yep ... record all deaths as the Wuhan Virus ...

2 hours ago, monkey_omelette said:

If ya get knocked down by a bus and they test you for Coronavirus and you had it would it still count as a Corona death?

They would say Coron killed the person....Being hit by a bus was irrelevant..

A vaccine is the clearest “exit strategy” we have. But vaccine research normally takes years, sometime decades. The world is now desperately trying to develop a coronavirus vaccine in just months.

The challenges in designing, testing, mass producing and then administering a vaccine to billions of people in record time are immense. That said, a group at Oxford University are confident they could have a million doses of vaccine by September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52319956

3 hours ago, monkey_omelette said:

If you had Covid-19 then you should have been in quarantine, not out and about and in a position to get knocked down by a bus.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fygjam said:

If you had Covid-19 then you should have been in quarantine, not out and about and in a position to get knocked down by a bus.

The old 'If you were not in Thailand the accident would not have happened' mentality. 😀

3 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

A vaccine is the clearest “exit strategy” we have. But vaccine research normally takes years, sometime decades. The world is now desperately trying to develop a coronavirus vaccine in just months.

The challenges in designing, testing, mass producing and then administering a vaccine to billions of people in record time are immense. That said, a group at Oxford University are confident they could have a million doses of vaccine by September.

Only about 65 million doses short or don't people under 40 require it.

22 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Only about 65 million doses short or don't people under 40 require it.

Scientists in Oxford behind vaccine trials say they are so confident in their attempt, they will manufacture one million doses while their trial is under way and they hope to be ready for September.

So, a reporter asks, how can the UK be sure to be front of the queue?

Alok Sharma says he has spoken to that team in recent days and the government was "continuing to support" the work.

But Sir Patrick Vallance again errs on the side of caution.

He says the researchers have done "a great job to get to where they are".

But while there are over 100 vaccine projects, he says the reality is that "each single project does not have a high probability of success".

Sir Patrick adds: "Everyone goes out with great enthusiasm... but it is never the case we know we have a vaccine that works."

He says once one is found, "safety is incredibly important" before the roll-out.

The vaccine may not come from the UK, however, and the government must "back lots of horses".

No guarantee whatsoever of a vaccine in the next 24 months.

Edited by dcfc2007

7 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

The problem is Dave these companies prefer cheap imported labour. They treat them like dirt, pay them poorly, and threaten to leave them high and dry at the first sign of trouble. Do we have some lazy layabouts in this country? Of course.

All companies try to lover their costs as much as they can - There job is to make profits.

7 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

But I don't buy this myth that immigrants only do the jobs the lazy Brits don't want to do. If these employers paid proper wages they would have no trouble finding Brits for the jobs.

Agree, and of course, the cost of the finished item would increase.

3 minutes ago, Mrmango said:

All companies try to lover their costs as much as they can - There job is to make profits.

Agree, and of course, the cost of the finished item would increase.

No problem for paying for quality home made products.

• Thumbs Up 1