What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

21 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I know just how you feel mate 

I would be there in a heartbeat if I could mate, and then back up to Chiang Mai after the 7 days to home sweet home. Like I've said a few times.... That process will be put in motion as soon as matters back here are settled, which I have a feeling will get rolling very soon here now that shit year 2021 is behind us.

It's been over 20 years since I've been to Phuket. There were things I liked about it, but at the time more things I preferred about Pattaya. But.... since then many things have changed, both with the places themselves and how I look at things and what my position is (time and money). Heck.... back then I never would have considered going to CM, now it is the primary place I want to be.

The things I liked more about Patts was the ease to get around, transportation options, availability of girls, and it seemed like they had an endless availability of good quality/moderately priced hotels that were well located within the zone I wanted to be in. 

I really hated that I felt like I was being taken to the cleaners every time I took a tuk tuk in Phuket.

Pattaya is much closer to the airport also, but now a days that's not much of a concern. 

I am very curious though how Grab service is going in Phuket if the rates for getting around are reasonable.

I think I would really like to see Phuket again soon, but need to get back to CM first and have that properly set up before doing anything else.

Either way when I look at CM overall for place to live long term it wins - hands down.

46 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Either way when I look at CM overall for place to live long term it wins - hands down.

Have you lived in CM during the burning season , if so how did you find it ?

I've visited CM many times and love it there , but I've always ensured my visits were not Jan-Mar 

Well i just read in Pattaya they've just said anyone wanting to even go a restaurant has to have done a test in the last 72 hours, so going by that, can't see restrictions getting eased this week.

Once Omicron properly takes off, as it has everywhere else, the Gov will panic, as they have everywhere else, well, apart from where they discovered it, South Africa. 

I think any notion of restriction getting eased is wishful thinking, i'd wager it will go the other way if anything, until they see that hospitilisations etc are not going up to the same level as infections. 

Hope i'm wrong!

Edited by Krapow

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

I've visited CM many times and love it there , but I've always ensured my visits were not Jan-Mar 

For over 20 years I passed on visiting CM, primarily because my visits to LOS was typically between mid to late Jan. through early March (Smokie Season). I wanted nothing to do with it, and never having been there did not feel enough of a pull to go up there. I stayed content with spending time in BKK, Pattaya and Hua Hinn.

In 2019 I got to LOS in Nov. So I decided to get up there before Smoke Season, stayed at Ramming Lodge. Within 3 days I was hooked, absolutely loved the place (particularly as I was researching for long term stay). 

I returned to Pattaya following that trip and began making plans. I then applied for my O visa which I fortunately obtained two days before "lockdown". I was then pretty much stuck in Pattaya as even intra provincial travel was closed. Then finally in Oct. of 2020 CM opened up to domestic travel. I went back and found a condo that I really liked. My happiness and comfort with the place grew even more throughout that time.

I stayed then until March of 2021 (when I had to return to the U.S. to settle matters), and that was during a good part of Smoke Season.  I can say that I was still happy to be there and still preferred it to any other place I had previously been to in LOS. But, that was in big part to my "state of mind" and relief at finding the place where I wanted to spend my future years. It checks all the boxes, and the airport was only a 10 minute drive away (if I want to go visit anywhere else it was very easy, and relatively cheap).

I think Smoke Season is obviously not the most pleasant thing, and tolerating it is going to be different for each person. My plan looking ahead is during Smoke Season just grin and bear it. Stay inside most of the time, keep A/C running, and air cleaners going, wearing mask (became the norm for me, once I got used to it was not an issue, for me). 

I also plan on using that season to visit other places during that time in the future.

I would say if you can visit CM obviously you would want to try to do outside Smoke Season. But, I must say that I regret not going to see the place sooner than I have, Smoke Season or not. My head is looking ahead for long time living not a 2 week or 2 month visit. But, either way I am thrilled with the place as it has so much more to offer than anywhere else IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

For over 20 years I passed on visiting CM, primarily because my visits to LOS was typically between mid to late Jan. through early March (Smokie Season). I wanted nothing to do with it, and never having been there did not feel enough of a pull to go up there. I stayed content with spending time in BKK, Pattaya and Hua Hinn.

In 2019 I got to LOS in Nov. So I decided to get up there before Smoke Season, stayed at Ramming Lodge. Within 3 days I was hooked, absolutely loved the place (particularly as I was researching for long term stay). 

I returned to Pattaya following that trip and began making plans. I then applied for my O visa which I fortunately obtained two days before "lockdown". I was then pretty much stuck in Pattaya as even intra provincial travel was closed. Then finally in Oct. of 2020 CM opened up to domestic travel. I went back and found a condo that I really liked. My happiness and comfort with the place grew even more throughout that time.

I stayed then until March of 2021 (when I had to return to the U.S. to settle matters), and that was during a good part of Smoke Season.  I can say that I was still happy to be there and still preferred it to any other place I had previously been to in LOS. But, that was in big part to my "state of mind" and relief at finding the place where I wanted to spend my future years. It checks all the boxes, and the airport was only a 10 minute drive away (if I want to go visit anywhere else it was very easy, and relatively cheap).

I think Smoke Season is obviously not the most pleasant thing, and tolerating it is going to be different for each person. My plan looking ahead is during Smoke Season just grin and bear it. Stay inside most of the time, keep A/C running, and air cleaners going, wearing mask (became the norm for me, once I got used to it was not an issue, for me). 

I also plan on using that season to visit other places during that time in the future.

I would say if you can visit CM obviously you would want to try to do outside Smoke Season. But, I must say that I regret not going to see the place sooner than I have, Smoke Season or not. My head is looking ahead for long time living not a 2 week or 2 month visit. But, either way I am thrilled with the place as it has so much more to offer than anywhere else IMO.

My first time in CM was in Dec 1995 ( Asian Games were on ) but didn't go back for around 15 years , but have been there five or six times now , Raming Lodge is also my go to hotel  👍

2 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

My first time in CM was in Dec 1995 ( Asian Games were on ) but didn't go back for around 15 years , but have been there five or six times now , Raming Lodge is also my go to hotel  👍

Great breakfast (before Covid). 

9 hours ago, Sangsom said:

In normal times most stuff like hotels/food/drink/entertainment is probably 20-50% more expensive than patters. Of course it’s all still relatively cheap as its Thailand. The only real rip off thing down there is the short tuk tuk rides around which can be annoying.

The Tuk tuks are still expensive, they ask for 200b minimum no matter how far you go, but currently you can haggle to a reasonable amount as there are so many compared to customers. Motor bike taxis are much cheaper if that's your thing. I tend to walk most places anyway, but returning home from any distance drunk late at night, I just pay the 200 to get back safely.

There is Bolt taxi service here, but so far haven't used them.

Edited by boydeste
  • Great Info 1

14 hours ago, Stillearly said:

When I was living in Mae Sot , well on the way to CM, you could go several weeks with the sun never breaking through the haze from the burning. I actually stopped my early morning cycle ride for a week or so because it made me cough and my eyes water.

I did notice last year when on at least one day CM was listed as having the worst air quality world wide.

I've been to CM several  times over the years and didn't mind it generally but on at least two visits I have caught dreadful colds that had me flat on my back in the room for a couple of days - mind you, I've had a couple of nasty colds in Pattaya too. I was in CM once when the burning was on and it was dreadful - as soon as I stepped out of my room I could smell the stink and the haze was hanging right down in the street outside. I know of one long term resident there who goes to the south of the country for a few weeks every year while this is going on. 

• Great Info 1

21 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Sitting here alone and having a discussion with myself about whether or not to postpone my Feb - Mar visit to thailand. I was planning on a month there but that looks like a non starter unless I go to Phuket first and do the week there and then head over to Pattaya.

I'm desperately trying to convince myself that Phuket wouldn't be to bad an option for a week but I'm losing that battle.

I'm having a similar conversation with myself.  Pissed off that I didn't take the plunge while Test & Go was in place.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I've been to CM several  times over the years and didn't mind it generally but on at least two visits I have caught dreadful colds that had me flat on my back in the room for a couple of days - mind you, I've had a couple of nasty colds in Pattaya too. I was in CM once when the burning was on and it was dreadful - as soon as I stepped out of my room I could smell the stink and the haze was hanging right down in the street outside. I know of one long term resident there who goes to the south of the country for a few weeks every year while this is going on. 

Yes, I can remember a couple days when you could see the smoke rolling down the streets like thick fog. Barely a sole in sight, middle of the day.+

8 hours ago, Jambo said:

When I was living in Mae Sot , well on the way to CM, you could go several weeks with the sun never breaking through the haze from the burning. I actually stopped my early morning cycle ride for a week or so because it made me cough and my eyes water.

I did notice last year when on at least one day CM was listed as having the worst air quality world wide.

Yep.... But the thing is it keeps property values/rentals at incredibly low rates. For those who approach it with thinking they may visit other places during that time (like a "snowbird") the lower prices contribute immensely to being able to enjoy that possibility. It's nice to have a change of scenery every now and then, regardless of how nice it is at home.

The area has semi-rural cost and slower pace than say Bangkok, but with all the same city ammenities and infastructure (hospitals, roads, entertainment) of a bigger city.

The one thing it doesn't have is a beach. Which I am fond of, but after doing the beach thing for most of my life It's not that big of deal when you are looking at life day in and day out. And honestly the beach/costal areas tend to be hotter than f**k all year long.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Yep.... But the thing is it keeps property values/rentals at incredibly low rates. For those who approach it with thinking they may visit other places during that time (like a "snowbird") the lower prices contribute immensely to being able to enjoy that possibility. It's nice to have a change of scenery every now and then, regardless of how nice it is at home.

The area has semi-rural cost and slower pace than say Bangkok, but with all the same city ammenities and infastructure (hospitals, roads, entertainment) of a bigger city.

The one thing it doesn't have is a beach. Which I am fond of, but after doing the beach thing for most of my life It's not that big of deal when you are looking at life day in and day out. And honestly the beach/costal areas tend to be hotter than f**k all year long.

Yes, but at least in the beach/coastal areas you usually have some kind of breeze off of the water that helps somewhat - I can remember being dragged around shopping villages in CM years ago by the then-GF when the temperature was over 40C  and it was brutal....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Yes, but at least in the beach/coastal areas you usually have some kind of breeze off of the water that helps somewhat - I can remember being dragged around shopping villages in CM years ago by the then-GF when the temperature was over 40C  and it was brutal....

Can be brutal, that's for sure. Overall the periods of cooler weather up there are longer and more pleasant. I can remember blasts of wind off the water that felt like a furnace Also the mountains offer a great opportunity for things to do, and a different atmosphere./environment. I like different aspects of both. While for others - different strokes for different folks. 

Bottom line... I really like the place and it fits what I am looking for. Took me a long time to find that and it is a real good feeling. 

• Thumbs Up 1