What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

I'm glad that you guys are enjoying Phuket - here in my neck of the woods it is the second day of our cold snap and my 66th birthday, the mercury is down at -39C and expected to bottom out tonight, moderating by Sunday; meanwhile I'm filling the woodstove every six or seven hours and not spending much time outside. I've got to do a little shopping later which I'd really rather not but my old POS pickup should start and run okay and the pubs are warm...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

I'm glad that you guys are enjoying Phuket - here in my neck of the woods it is the second day of our cold snap and my 66th birthday, the mercury is down at -39C and expected to bottom out tonight, moderating by Sunday; meanwhile I'm filling the woodstove every six or seven hours and not spending much time outside. I've got to do a little shopping later which I'd really rather not but my old POS pickup should start and run okay and the pubs are warm...

Happy Birthday Gord !   Stay safe. 

We've had a cold snap down here. Nothing like what you are dealing with though, dear Dog.

I missed (by about 100 miles) that awful snowstorm that shut down I-95, Phew. What a cluster f**k.

2 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Happy Birthday Gord !   Stay safe. 

We've had a cold snap down here. Nothing like what you are dealing with though, dear Dog.

I missed (by about 100 miles) that awful snowstorm that shut down I-95, Phew. What a cluster f**k.

All things considered, I'd still rather be here than in Vancouver or Vancouver Island right now - record  cold temperatures and 20cm of snow forecast on top of the snow they've already got - major impact on an area that normally doesn't see sub-zero temperatures or snow in the winter months. 

15 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Happy Birthday Gord

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Cheers mate

Happy Birthday

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Cheers Gord and happy birthday mate.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

No, you're not lazy, just American - "F" is left, "C" is right, so you are looking at a temperature of -60F which is cold by anybody's standards....

That is friggin cold by anyone's standard geesus. The coldest I've worked in was -20 F, usually very windy also.

Just booked and paid for my flights to Thailand for July/August.  Booked fully flexible flights for the family which allow unlimited changes before and after departure and full refund if needing to cancel for any reason.

Booked on Finnair with good timings for £1707 for two adults and 1 child. Finnair were doing a deal offering double miles if booked before 11 January for travel from 04 Jan to 31 August. Not sure how they break the journey in miles but a European return flight to Asia is 12000 miles so you will receive 24000 miles at least. Signed up my wife as well so she will also earn miles and these miles can be transferred to another member for a small fee.

One bonus was that the fully flexible economy fare allows you free standard seating which includes the few rows at the front of the A350 which have extra leg room so happy with that.

Of course it could all go tits up hence the fully flexible fare bought.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 1:09 AM, Stillearly said:

Searching the 1921 U.K. Census for family members, they were only released an hour ago ... 🙂 

This piqued my interest, but now I'm disappointed! 😞

Why isn’t the 1921 census on Ancestry?

The 1921 England and Wales census records aren’t currently available on Ancestry because the National Archives has signed an exclusive deal with Findmypast .

Researchers from Findmypast have spent three years delving into and digitising the findings of the 1921 census, which consists of 28,000 physical volumes.

Viewing the 1921 census on Findmypast costs £3.50 for every original record image and £2.50 for every record transcript.

Findmypast subscribers get a 10% discount on any purchases from the 1921 census.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/1921-census-available-ancestry-scottish-22662240

Edited by Bazle

Just got a call from a mate in Hua Hin to tell me he has spent quite a few hours in Hua Hin Bangkok hospital after getting attacked by monkeys in Khai Tao around the temple.

He does this walk often and has only occasionally seen some monkeys but today he was attacked by about 5-6 large monkeys who jumped on him and scratched and cut his legs and hands badly. 

14000 baht later he has had about 6 jabs in his legs with rabies and tetanus jabs, he has had all the wounds dressed but needs to go back tomorrow and on another 5 or 6 occasions for further rabies jabs etc. He is not happy as he knows it will cost him although he has insurance which should cover costs once he is back in the UK.

• Sad 2