What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

Literally just booked Ibiza for a 5 day break next month 🤣🤣🤣

Not been since 99 , just hoping I don't regret it.

In all seriousness I'm gonna have a proper look round the island, can't see me wanting to club it all week lol.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Generic KRONE LSA-Plus Punch Down Tool with Sensor Network Punch Tool

Ah yes.... Some of you may want to hide behind the settee when I explain this.

Y'see the bit with the hook on? Well I had never been shown how to use the tool before so just copied what I saw. The bloke that I watched pushed the tool in to make the connection then used the palm of his hand to "bash it in". 

Anyways I did the same but the bit with the hook on was loose and dropped down just as I bashed my palm against the base, impaling the hook into my hand and wrist right up to the hilt! Had it have been the blade then it could have just been pulled out but oh no not me...The hook was caught on whatever veins and innards are inside your wrist!!

So off to hospital in an ambulance I went...very very slowly..no bells, no sirens, no lights just very slowly over every bump in the road....

Jeez @forcebwithuwill have his work cut out taking photos of :-

- My plastic bottle urinal

- My Cat

- My wrist!!!!

Unfortunately my homebrew production has entered a 6 week hiatus due to the lack of some ingredients ...

So I shall leave you all with this ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Glasseye said:

55555555 !

Chicken livers are much easier !  Also, cheap and tasty. I will sometimes dip them in egg batter, fry them in canola oil with garlic and onions. Very tasty.

Yes not a great lover of pig's liver, much prefer chicken and duck. 

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Nickrock said:

So they couldn't catch up with you when you robbed the bank

I thought it was 'cause he was a cat burglar but nobody wanted the cat he burgled so he had to keep it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I've just remembered something......Would anybody like to know why I have no fingerprints???

1/    You mistakenly picked up a red hot piece of metal.

2/   You have been using wet/dry to rub down a car ready to paint.

Both of the above remove your fingerprints, but they eventually grow back...... 

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, SteveBC said:

1/    You mistakenly picked up a red hot piece of metal.

2/   You have been using wet/dry to rub down a car ready to paint.

Both of the above remove your fingerprints, but they eventually grow back...... 

1 hour ago, Nickrock said:

So they couldn't catch up with you when you robbed the bank

Nice try both of you!

When I left school in '72 I got a job in the local deli until I was old enough to join the Army.......It had an old "bacon slicer" ......and again nobody taught me how to use it so I just watched the butcher using it...

My Mum asked me to bring home some thinly sliced ham so I decided to try and cut it myself. I had no idea about using the securing clamp so just started the machine up, held onto the ham firmly with both hands and started moving it back and forth...Easy Peasy ...until I had a painful burning feeling ...I had somehow taken off a miniscule layer of skin on my finger tips...!!! 

• Haha 3
  • Surprised 4

11 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Did you ever work in a major BT Exchange with strowgers clicking all the time... but then suddenly one day they were all switched off ?

It was so fucking creepy to walk into a "room" that was once full of noise to one of silence!

Again I betray my colonial ignorance, but by "strowger" do you mean electro-mechanical step connector? Our CO's were all of these type when I first hired in the '70s and can well remember the racket they made, especially when the radio phone-in shows were popular - it would indeed be eery to have the place go completely silent! I remember one of our inside techs telling me of a similar occasion when a big outside cable got hit and a major part of the CO simply locked up because of the cable pairs being shorted. For a few years in the '80s I lived in a smaller town where my office was right in the CO - which was a "crossbar" low-maintenance mechanical design, and I can recall how tuned in I became to the rhythms of the switching gear - even though I was the outside plant guy, I could still tell if something wasn't quite right in the office machinery. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, fygjam said:

And the MDF was a wonderful sight during a thunderstorm, if you had any aerial cable, with carbons and heat coils going in all directions.

Layout of Protector, Heat Coil and Test Springs

I have to admit that I never saw a show like this - were you still running a lot of open wire lines out in the field at that time? Maybe we just never had lightning close or strong enough to do this, but by  the time I entered the field we were switching to gas tube or solid state protection anyway. 

Here's one I was hired back from retirement to deal with in 2015 - they'd had a lightning strike on a mountaintop radio site which had a cable running down on the ground to serve a border camp and although our crew had replaced a section of damaged cable, it was still causing problems and they couldn't figure out why - all of us old-timers had retired by then and the newer guys didn't have the experience with the test gear, etc. I did some field testing from below and then got a chopper to go to the upper site - this place was a hellhole for weather although spectacular on a nice day, and it was blowing so bad this day that the machine couldn't shut down and the pilot told me we didn't have long to get in and do what I had to, but it was just enough to look at a few pairs and realize that the problems were at the top. It then took almost six weeks for the weather to settle enough to get back up with a new wall-mounted cable terminal and this is what I found in the connector when I removed the old one. It all worked out well for me - I scored a few points with management and crew and ended up working on other jobs for another three months that year:

img_1419.jpg

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Nice try both of you!

When I left school in '72 I got a job in the local deli until I was old enough to join the Army.......It had an old "bacon slicer" ......and again nobody taught me how to use it so I just watched the butcher using it...

My Mum asked me to bring home some thinly sliced ham so I decided to try and cut it myself. I had no idea about using the securing clamp so just started the machine up, held onto the ham firmly with both hands and started moving it back and forth...Easy Peasy ...until I had a painful burning feeling ...I had somehow taken off a miniscule layer of skin on my finger tips...!!! 

What one would call a "close shave" literally !!

You could of easily lost your fingertips.......

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2022 at 1:06 PM, Stillearly said:

I get an regular test ... I was originally-6 and couldn't see anything...then had LASIK in 2004 , had perfect vision for about ten years .. then started to need help with reading ( no issue with driving and distance) am currently +2  , so happy to use cheap specs to read a menu when required 

I did a Refractive Lens exchange (multi-focal lens) on my left eye over 10 years ago in the US.  So I had distance vision in both eyes and could read with my left.  Eventually my right eye started going so I had an RLE on that one here in Thailand (more advanced graduated vison lens).  Now I can see fine at any distance with both eyes though my night vision has suffered a bit.

• Like 2

Been suffering a bit today: wife cooked up a rhubarb and pork mince chilli last night.

It was really hot which I managed but my mouth seemed shocked for a while after. Asked the wife how much chilli powder she put in and she told me the whole bottle (see pic). 'Seriously' I said, 'yes' she confirms mentioning that she really made it for herself, didn't realise I would eat it.

I will be eating only English today.

IMG20220517080140.jpg

• Haha 7
  • Surprised 4

Took my mum's car up to my neighbours body shop,the n/s front electric window was inop,he said he'd get someone to look at it.
There's an isolate switch doh....even an X reg Yaris has too much tech for meimage.gif😂.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, tko said:

I did a Refractive Lens exchange (multi-focal lens) on my left eye over 10 years ago in the US.  So I had distance vision in both eyes and could read with my left.  Eventually my right eye started going so I had an RLE on that one here in Thailand (more advanced graduated vison lens).  Now I can see fine at any distance with both eyes though my night vision has suffered a bit.

I started wearing glasses at the age of 10,they said that when I got older it would correct itself but it hadn't by the time I was in my 40's so I had laser treatment in 95/96.In those days they did your eyes six months apart & it was pretty fucking horrible for the first 24 hours.

Now I need glasses for anything closer than arms length and I have quite a few annoying floaters,which are not unusual for my age.

• Surprised 1

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

I started wearing glasses at the age of 10,they said that when I got older it would correct itself but it hadn't by the time I was in my 40's so I had laser treatment in 95/96.In those days they did your eyes six months apart & it was pretty fucking horrible for the first 24 hours.

Now I need glasses for anything closer than arms length and I have quite a few annoying floaters,which are not unusual for my age.

With RLE there's no presbyopia,  and no cataracts ever.  It isn't cheap.  My left eye in the US cost me 4KUSD, my right eye 10 years later in Thailand cost me 2.7KUSD. 

I did get floaters on my left eye after about eight years after the surgery, but they hit it with a YAG laser for 10KBaht here (because the underlying lens was plastic) and no more floaters.

• Like 3

On our way to Bristol Airport to catch a flight to Fuerteventura for a much needed break. On route we have stopped off for a Premier Inn brekkie, as much as you want for £9.50 per head.

20220518_102533.jpg

20220518_102538.jpg

20220518_101609.jpg

20220518_101605.jpg

20220518_103850.jpg

20220518_101628.jpg

Edited by Binlid
  • Like 4