What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

17 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Looking for Hotels in Hong Kong

One of the best places I have ever travelled to. Bring some extra cash.

The subway system there is probably the best I have ever used. Late at night if out after the subway shuts down taxis are cheap and easy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Looking for Hotels in Hong Kong

I stayed in this place when I visited HK in 2013 and again in 2014:

https://www.wifiboutiquehotel.com

It's close to the nightlife in Wan Chai and only a 5-10 minute walk from the nearest subway station - you can take a train directly from the airport to this station; the rooms are small but modern, and not cheap - I don't remember what I paid back then and Agoda looks like 3X that amount now but I don't think you'll find anything much cheaper around there - good luck, I had a lot of fun there when I visited. 

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just finished cleaning up. Whenever I return from holiday the central heating fails. This time it was the circulation pump and 3 way valve. Quite surprised when draining down the water was mostly clear with a slight brown tinge at the end. This is after 30 years. I'm lucky the original installation was done by a mate who is happy to pop round at short notice. I can drain down and bleed the rads but leave the clever stuff to him.

• Thumbs Up 5

I am still pretty much confined to barracks with my sciatica playing up but at least I am able to walk up and down the soi outside my house now.

Today I am getting two deliveries that will complete my Songkran lockdown stash. I am particularly excited about 2 pieces of Aussie bone in lamb short loin ( 3.4kg total - 450Baht/kg). I intend to cut them into chops but I've never done it before so I also ordered a knife sharpener from Lotus..

Nothing like attacking a dead animal with a knife to relieve stress !!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Glasseye said:

One of the best places I have ever travelled to. Bring some extra cash.

The subway system there is probably the best I have ever used. Late at night if out after the subway shuts down taxis are cheap and easy.

Not trying to be a shill, but the subway system in Singapore is top notch also. Spent a week there in Jan, nice place. 

Hong Kong is nice too.......and no humidity. 

Maybe Larry can check this place out........and report back LOL! 

IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

• Like 1

My new heating furnace is finished and has been working for the last three days; here are the photos I promised:

The old furnace, working in this place since at least 1960:

rsz_img_1788.jpg

And the new unit:

rsz_img_1815.jpg

Now I need to paint the exposed section of original floor and we're okay...

• Like 3
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yessongs said:

Not trying to be a shill, but the subway system in Singapore is top notch also. Spent a week there in Jan, nice place. 

Hong Kong is nice too.......and no humidity. 

Maybe Larry can check this place out........and report back LOL! 

IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

Yes, I recall hearing that.

Heading out to buy a lottery ticket. If I hit maybe head that way for a visit.

😃

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

My new heating furnace is finished and has been working for the last three days; here are the photos I promised:

The old furnace, working in this place since at least 1960:

rsz_img_1788.jpg

And the new unit:

rsz_img_1815.jpg

Now I need to paint the exposed section of original floor and we're okay...

I'd be ejaculating like a bull having that new baby installed if I were you.

👍

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Just been for a walk , 9k steps .. a couple of twinges in my knee towards the end , but otherwise okay .... beautiful day 

2D551933-2430-4EF9-937C-A32B4CB9E40D.jpeg

1F030BCB-BC99-4AFC-9568-D1E0FF43C47F.jpeg

277FCE38-D799-4B3A-BE3C-04F5F67A99FC.jpeg

FBEC99EC-4B9F-4083-A4D4-6D1B075C3646.jpeg

My gosh that looks lovely. Can't even see the sky where I am. It would be horribly depressing if I wasn't otherwise happy as can be that I am here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I am still pretty much confined to barracks with my sciatica playing up but at least I am able to walk up and down the soi outside my house now.

Today I am getting two deliveries that will complete my Songkran lockdown stash. I am particularly excited about 2 pieces of Aussie bone in lamb short loin ( 3.4kg total - 450Baht/kg). I intend to cut them into chops but I've never done it before so I also ordered a knife sharpener from Lotus..

Nothing like attacking a dead animal with a knife to relieve stress !!

That sounds like a bargain, unless most of that 3.4kgs is bone.

Lamb here is very expensive right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just emptied and cleaned my mates koi pond. Backs on fire again.  

Decided to walk it off, 3 miles and popped into my local to find they got ESB on.

Friday is the weekend,  right?

All safely in my padling pool.

20230407_141801.jpg

20230407_175916.jpg

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Just emptied and cleaned my mates koi pond. Backs on fire again.  

Decided to walk it off, 3 miles and popped into my local to find they got ESB on.

Friday is the weekend,  right?

All safely in my padling pool.

20230407_141801.jpg

20230407_175916.jpg

Friday is definitely part of the weekend except when you live in a backward place like I do that doesn't allow pubs to open on Good Friday.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Zambo said:

I will agree with you. I have stayed here a few times when in Wan Chai. I knew it as the Wharney Guang Dong but note it is same address so same place. 

I don't drink whisky but I remember it had a great pub/bar below that supposedly had the largest collection of whiskies in Hong Kong. I had great haggis there as well. Rooms were not massive (Hong Kong size) but great location. Good choice.

3 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I will agree with you. I have stayed here a few times when in Wan Chai. I knew it as the Wharney Guang Dong but note it is same address so same place. 

I don't drink whisky but I remember it had a great pub/bar below that supposedly had the largest collection of whiskies in Hong Kong. I had great haggis there as well. Rooms were not massive (Hong Kong size) but great location. Good choice.

This is for my work trips, not when paying myself. I agree not the greatest luxury in the rooms but difficult to beat the location. Last time i went it was full so i stayed in Empire Hotel which was also good.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Thanks for that but at over 300 a night it is beyond my price range great looking property 

For a change take a ferry to Lamma Island, the drawback is that as far as I know there are only guesthouses no hotels - and of course a long trip for any shopping. But a great relaxing atmosphere.

http://www.lammabaliresort.com/en-US

Edited by Zambo
Add guesthouse
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Thanks for that but at over 300 a night it is beyond my price range great looking property 

I can't afford £300 ($300) a night either and I have stayed there so I looked on Booking.Com. Certainly more expensive than I can remember but depending on dates I checked I got it for around £100 to £145 a night.

• Like 1