What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

4 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Just opened an email to find i have won free tickets for a prog rock festival at Sheperds Bush Empire in October.

Well,freeish.They are £50 tickets but have to pay £12 admin charge per ticket.

What the camel toe is progressive rock?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

That's not too bad.

When I heard 'progressive' I thought it was going to be some vegan weirdo singing about social justice issues.

Think more of old Genesis,Yes,Jethro Tull type of music.

Uriah Heep are headliners,got their new CD and its pretty damn good.

11 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

Could have this been the room?

50053162_2150377138334169_2414821623891755008_n.thumb.jpg.97f9d27e3b55f76d1151320c2bc54386.jpg

I believe it was; a guy had been living in it but was being moved to a smaller room and they offered it to me at a good price. Had 3 nights there back last January whilst the babe was across in Pak San attending a funeral.  I didn't want to go across the river so stayed in Nong Khai and relaxed.  Just about managed to park my pick-up in their minute car park at the end of the service road by reception.

Lot of very interesting people staying there long term. Great location.

• Like 1

Rented a condo for a few days on Airbnb in a complex I’m thinking of buying in. Seems alright, it’s further up sukhumvit but it’s near the BTS, it’s a cracking complex and has loads of places for food about and I’ve not seen any of my Nigerian friends all afternoon up here😃

3E1036B1-16A2-437D-82E1-C8BD86496508.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Interesting read !

As if climate changes was not bad enough, now the North Pole starts to wander around....

https://gcaptain.com/shifting-north-magnetic-pole-forces-unprecedented-navigation-fix/

Shifting North Magnetic Pole Forces Unprecedented Navigation Fix

By Alister Doyle OSLO, Jan 11 (Reuters) – Rapid shifts in the Earth’s north magnetic pole are forcing researchers to make an unprecedented early update to a model that helps navigation by ships, planes and submarines in the Arctic, scientists said.

Compass needles point towards the north magnetic pole, a point which has crept unpredictably from the coast of northern Canada a century ago to the middle of the Arctic Ocean, moving towards Russia.

“It’s moving at about 50 km (30 miles) a year. It didn’t move much between 1900 and 1980 but it’s really accelerated in the past 40 years,” Ciaran Beggan, of the British Geological Survey in Edinburgh, told Reuters on Friday.

A five-year update of a World Magnetic Model was due in 2020 but the U.S. military requested an unprecedented early review, he said. The BGS runs the model with the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Beggan said the moving pole affected navigation, mainly in the Arctic Ocean north of Canada. NATO and the U.S. and British militaries are among those using the magnetic model, as well as civilian navigation.

The wandering pole is driven by unpredictable changes in liquid iron deep inside the Earth. An update will be released on January 30, the journal Nature said, delayed from January 15 because of the U.S. government shutdown.

“The fact that the pole is going fast makes this region more prone to large errors,” Arnaud Chulliat, a geomagnetist at the University of Colorado Boulder and NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information, told Nature.

Beggan said the recent shifts in the north magnetic pole would be unnoticed by most people outside the Arctic, for instance using smartphones in New York, Beijing or London.

Navigation systems in cars or phones rely on radio waves from satellites high above the Earth to pinpoint their position on the ground.

“It doesn’t really affect mid or low latitudes,” Beggan said. “It wouldn’t really affect anyone driving a car.”

Many smartphones have inbuilt compasses to help to orientate maps or games such as Pokemon Go. In most places, however, the compass would be pointing only fractionally wrong, within errors allowed in the five-year models, Beggan said. (Reporting by Alister Doyle)

(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019.

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Interesting read !

As if climate changes was not bad enough, now the North Pole starts to wander around....

https://gcaptain.com/shifting-north-magnetic-pole-forces-unprecedented-navigation-fix/

Shifting North Magnetic Pole Forces Unprecedented Navigation Fix

By Alister Doyle OSLO, Jan 11 (Reuters) – Rapid shifts in the Earth’s north magnetic pole are forcing researchers to make an unprecedented early update to a model that helps navigation by ships, planes and submarines in the Arctic, scientists said.

Compass needles point towards the north magnetic pole, a point which has crept unpredictably from the coast of northern Canada a century ago to the middle of the Arctic Ocean, moving towards Russia.

“It’s moving at about 50 km (30 miles) a year. It didn’t move much between 1900 and 1980 but it’s really accelerated in the past 40 years,” Ciaran Beggan, of the British Geological Survey in Edinburgh, told Reuters on Friday.

A five-year update of a World Magnetic Model was due in 2020 but the U.S. military requested an unprecedented early review, he said. The BGS runs the model with the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Beggan said the moving pole affected navigation, mainly in the Arctic Ocean north of Canada. NATO and the U.S. and British militaries are among those using the magnetic model, as well as civilian navigation.

The wandering pole is driven by unpredictable changes in liquid iron deep inside the Earth. An update will be released on January 30, the journal Nature said, delayed from January 15 because of the U.S. government shutdown.

“The fact that the pole is going fast makes this region more prone to large errors,” Arnaud Chulliat, a geomagnetist at the University of Colorado Boulder and NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information, told Nature.

Beggan said the recent shifts in the north magnetic pole would be unnoticed by most people outside the Arctic, for instance using smartphones in New York, Beijing or London.

Navigation systems in cars or phones rely on radio waves from satellites high above the Earth to pinpoint their position on the ground.

“It doesn’t really affect mid or low latitudes,” Beggan said. “It wouldn’t really affect anyone driving a car.”

Many smartphones have inbuilt compasses to help to orientate maps or games such as Pokemon Go. In most places, however, the compass would be pointing only fractionally wrong, within errors allowed in the five-year models, Beggan said. (Reporting by Alister Doyle)

(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019.

Not sure why this shift would be surprising. The rock is way overdue for a complete reversal of the magnetic poles...be about the 17th known time it has happenned.

41 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

Not sure why this shift would be surprising. The rock is way overdue for a complete reversal of the magnetic poles...be about the 17th known time it has happenned.

Mmmm....possible, but a this guy sure did not convince me....

7 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Listening to noise pollution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My turn in April.

The Missus son will marry.....And I had the opportunity to hear the music in the village in the past. Except that this time it will be in our courtyard....

Thats 48h without sleep....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Mmmm....possible, but a this guy sure did not convince me....

Well research...there are 1000's of articles from NASA to French Scientists...i really thought this was fairly common knowledge, and surely not recent knowledge...i think polar fields reversing was part of my grade 7 science curriculm at school.

BTW, the Earth is not flat either.

2 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

Well research...there are 1000's of articles from NASA to French Scientists...i really thought this was fairly common knowledge, and surely not recent knowledge...i think polar fields reversing was part of my grade 7 science curriculm at school.

BTW, the Earth is not flat either.

Hahaha...

To be honest, I never heard about BIG deviations like that. Yes , small deviations I remember we had some tables in the Navy to "adjust" compass readings depending on our location (how closer to the pole how more important).

And as I was a fast learner I left school at 15, so I may have missed a few things !