Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

It could very well be Billabong started turning up the volume to avoid be overwhelmed by the competing noise coming out of the surrounding gogo's. Same thing happened at MIT bars. Each tried to overwhelm their neighboring bar with higher volume.

I hate loud sounds of any nature. Whether it be music, shouting, loud pipes, etc, but recognize I'm probably in the minority on that when compared to the guys on holiday. So be it, plenty of choices out there, with something for everyone to be had.

Having said that, I still don't get why Billabong felt the need to start blasting the music noise early in the evenings. Gogo's are silent at that time, and they had a crowd of regulars who enjoyed a couple of beers in a prime location for relaxing and people watching. They had a chance to cater to both sets of customers and fill seats earlier in the evening, but for whatever reason they have made a piss poor decision by cranking the volume earlier.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

Never visited Billabong, Queens or Shooters.

I love music, preferably live, but if you cannot hold a normal conversation on a night out it is TOO loud!

Simple.

I went into a bar on Soi 6 many years ago and said to the girl who came in with me that the music was too loud. She asked her boss to turn the volume down but the ignorant c**t turned it up so I walked out without ordering anything never to return. I also walked away from a beer bar in Soi 7 or 8 because the music was so loud!!!!

I want to be able to talk to people without having to shout!!! 

Alan

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

25 minutes ago, KWA said:

Former Sarasota Cafe/Takeaway on the corner of Soi Buakhao and New Plaza has a new (to me anyway) name.

sarasota new.jpg

This place needs TOURIST to do well......Dont see many Soi Bukow regulars here...

1 hour ago, fifelad55 said:

I went into a bar on Soi 6 many years ago and said to the girl who came in with me that the music was too loud. She asked her boss to turn the volume down but the ignorant c**t turned it up so I walked out without ordering anything never to return. I also walked away from a beer bar in Soi 7 or 8 because the music was so loud!!!!

I want to be able to talk to people without having to shout!!! 

Alan

Your mention of Soi 7 reminded me of the sonic wall of death you encountered when turning off 2nd road on to Soi 7. PJ Bar and Rolling Live, IIRC, both blasting at volume 11. Just unbelievable people would actually sit in those bars and suffer the hearing loss when there were far better bars just another 50m farther down the soi.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

You're made of sterner stuff than me if you can sit through that band for 4 beers😀 The Beer Garden has always been my early doors venue of choice, but then I'm a rarity it seems in that I still prefer WS over LK.

I think Beer Garden would be my venue of choice for an early evening beverage but I usually stay at LK Royal Wing and tend to have early evening beers around the Soi Bukhao/Soi Diana area.  I rarely hit WS but Beer Garden is a great place to meet, to sip a few early ones or even stay longer with a view.

Always enjoyed a meal there and had one of my best evenings with my wife watching Loy Kratong right at my table. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

You're made of sterner stuff than me if you can sit through that band for 4 beers😀 The Beer Garden has always been my early doors venue of choice, but then I'm a rarity it seems in that I still prefer WS over LK.

Early doors before the band comes on no probs,beer garden was a great starting point to a walking street ramble,is it open again yet ?  kinda getting that pattaya urge to visit looking at all these posts and photos around pattaya.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Early doors before the band comes on no probs,beer garden was a great starting point to a walking street ramble,is it open again yet ?  kinda getting that pattaya urge to visit looking at all these posts and photos around pattaya.

I don't know if the beer garden has reopened yet. Think wherever you head back to that's on the tourist trail only a subset of the places you used to enjoy will be open/still in business.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Chappo said:

new gentlemen's club coming soon in Soi Boomerang - Pleasure Lounge... Ex manager from Ruby Club on Soi 6 - great lad and i hope he does well 

There's also a new one on Soi Pothole that opened recently. Called S-One Bar Beer across from Anzac Bar, but it's set up as a GC with a closed front. 

1 minute ago, forcebwithu said:

There's also a new one on Soi Pothole that opened recently. Called S-One Bar Beer across from Anzac Bar, but it's set up as a GC with a closed front. 

yes- they also do a sunday roast (not a sunday spit-roast :))

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Chappo said:

new gentlemen's club coming soon in Soi Boomerang - Pleasure Lounge... Ex manager from Ruby Club on Soi 6 - great lad and i hope he does well 

Such clubs will be what is left after the majority of GoGo's have fallen by the wayside.

They will be busy as they are generally well appointed, have reasonable drink prices and attentive naughty girls.

Well I like Soi Boomerang - more the merrier. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Raffer said:

Dont like Billabong Bar because they insist on 2 beers at a time. Whats that all about?

Smart marketing that benefits both the bar and the customer, the price conscious customer that isn't on the move gets cheap beer and the bar gets more profit per customer.

Also they don't insist on you drinking a second drink, I have walked away many times without taking the second drink.

Edited by boydeste
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Smart marketing that benefits both the bar and the customer, the price conscious customer that isn't on the move gets cheap beer and the bar gets more profit per customer.

Also they don't insist on you drinking a second drink, I have walked away many times without taking the second drink.

Yes it is just smart marketing.  I have walked away without drinking the second beer but offering 2 beers at a reasonable price is just a way to try and get you to stay longer and therefore possibly enabling the girls to entertain you while hopefully getting ladies drinks.

They probably don't really want the guy who is going to take up a seat at a table and sip on 2 beers for an hour without spending money on companions, there are other places to do that.

I look at the total cost for the intro beer of where I am not the fact that I have to drink 2 beers. I suppose if it is not value for you then there are other places to take your buck.

It's just another angle, a lot of bars offering a differing business model, nothing wrong with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Raffer said:

Dont like Billabong Bar because they insist on 2 beers at a time. Whats that all about?

Years back I would always stay at least a week on the 3rd floor corner room at the Billabong. Just loved it there. This was a regular stay for many years. The noise was never a problem. Of course I never got in till 3 or 4 in the morning. But in the end the entire soi just got way to loud. Sad really as it was a great place to stay.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Yes it is just smart marketing.  I have walked away without drinking the second beer but offering 2 beers at a reasonable price is just a way to try and get you to stay longer and therefore possibly enabling the girls to entertain you while hopefully getting ladies drinks.

They probably don't really want the guy who is going to take up a seat at a table and sip on 2 beers for an hour without spending money on companions, there are other places to do that.

I look at the total cost for the intro beer of where I am not the fact that I have to drink 2 beers. I suppose if it is not value for you then there are other places to take your buck.

It's just another angle, a lot of bars offering a differing business model, nothing wrong with that.

The main advantage of the two beer policy for the bar is that in a group after two beers, every one will be drinking at different stages. some will have drunk both beer and other will just starting the second.  So instead of leaving and going to another bar, more beers will be ordered.  I mostly go to Kilkenny as the beer cheaper it's not so noisy and better pool table. Also you can see the totty better!

Edited by eyes4thais
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

16 hours ago, Raffer said:

Unless they've changed, you can order just one at Billabong. Triangle on the other hand doesn't allow you to order just one. They'll let you take the 2nd one unopened, but that's a bit of a problem for me as I drink SangSom sodas.

Pre-pandemic sign at Billabong
IMG_20190728_195316.jpg.51e7798c909ede5c1c3a6e76aef57567.jpg

• Great Info 1

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Unless they've changed, you can order just one at Billabong. Triangle on the other hand doesn't allow you to order just one. They'll let you take the 2nd one unopened, but that's a bit of a problem for me as I drink SangSom sodas.

Pre-pandemic sign at Billabong
IMG_20190728_195316.jpg.51e7798c909ede5c1c3a6e76aef57567.jpg

Fair comments like. I just dont want to be tied to the place or waste money.  I was always assured you had to have two.

2 hours ago, Raffer said:

Fair comments like. I just dont want to be tied to the place or waste money.  I was always assured you had to have two.

I found you had to have the second or none at all, and it had to be exactly the same as the first. They wouldn't even give you a bottle of water rather than another beer. 

16 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I found you had to have the second or none at all, and it had to be exactly the same as the first. They wouldn't even give you a bottle of water rather than another beer. 

Either way I chose to go to somewhere else close by. The band were bloody awful as well.  

• Thumbs Up 3