COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

UNREAL..  a few days ago someone who thinks he is in the know but is just a piss head.. told me that that as HIV only affected those who have anal sex, so COVID 19 only kills asians

you cant make it up

A typical Pattaya "character" ?

Coronavirus panic buying frenzy hits supermarkets

But let's keep things in perspective...

In one New Zealand supermarket, every type of bread was stripped from the shelves except gluten free options.

• Haha 2
  • Surprised 1

15 hours ago, Murchie said:

False news on FB, say it ain't so. 

Ironically, its true a day later as someone tested positive in the Erasmus hospital here. Oh well, was bound to happen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

Coronavirus panic buying frenzy hits supermarkets

But let's keep things in perspective...

In one New Zealand supermarket, every type of bread was stripped from the shelves except gluten free options.

Didn't notice any bare shelves at two of our local supermarkets

Besides gluten free is a bit of a marketing hype except for a very very small percentage 

First death in U.S. from COVID-19.

I'm in the U.S. right now, on the East Coast in a small town about an hour's drive south of Philadelphia.  Nobody here seems to be worried about COVID-19.  I went to dinner Friday at a very crowded restaurant; on Saturday the local mall was unusually busy, says the relative with whom I'm staying.  No one was wearing a surgical mask and I saw a prominent display of masks in only one store.

However, a friend in California says the shelves of local shops are emptying of masks, disinfectant and even staple food supplies as people stock up because of fears of a major outbreak of COVID-19.  From a store in Oakland:

download.jpg.e915ead2280c25555d90db5dd907b060.jpg

The first cases have been reported in the U.S. of people testing positive who haven't traveled abroad or been in contact with someone who has.  It the "community spread" of COVID-19 and "invisible lines of infection" that have caused some to panic.

I'm in the U.S. for a medical procedure and my doctor advises me not to travel back to Thailand for at least two months, maybe longer if corona spreads in Thailand.

Evil

Virus outbreak batters economies, raises fear of spread

TOKYO (AP) — Amid fears about where the next outbreak of a fast-spreading new virus would appear, infections and deaths continued to rise across the globe Sunday, emptying streets of tourists and workers, shaking economies and rewriting the realities of daily life.

Panic-buying of daily necessities emerged in Japan, tourist sites across Asia, Europe and the Mideast were deserted, and governments closed schools and banned big gatherings. Amusement parks have been shuttered and concerts cancelled. In Paris, priests stopped placing sacramental bread in worshippers’ mouths.

14 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

. In Paris, priests stopped placing sacramental bread in worshippers’ mouths.

FFS,.. I checked and its even more "débile" than that.

Empty the holy water bassin, dont shake hands, dont put the hostie in the mouth, ...

Apparently it doesn't apply in every diocese, which makes it even more stupid.

Concerning the economic impact, of course there will be a one, but temporary. You dont close down one of the worlds main supplier for a month without impact on worldwide business. But on the other hand, in this world of economic globalization a LOT of stuff comes from China and you cant stop that for long.

No need to add to the panic. Thiz will pass, like everything else has past.

Till something new comes up again to keep the media  busy .....

53 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

No need to add to the panic. Thiz will pass, like everything else has past.

Till something new comes up again to keep the media  busy .....

We have to take the COVID-19 seriously, very seriously, but there is no need to panic.  Worldwide, there have been about 89,000 reported cases so far and about 3,000 deaths.  Source for figures.

It's mainly older people and those who have underlying health problems that are most at risk:  Coronavirus patients with heart disease have a 10% chance of dying. The article gives the mortality rate for patients with various underlying health problems.

The stats below are for the U.S. and come from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

flu.JPG

Since Oct. 1, 2019, there has been one confirmed death from COVID-19, but 18,000 to 46,000 deaths from other types of flu.  The total population of the U.S. is 330 million. I can't give the link, but I read an analysis on a closed Internet site from an individual who claimed to be a healthcare professional.  That person stated most of the deaths from any type of flu  occur among people who didn't have long to live whether or not they caught the flu.  It sounds heartless, but that's the bitter truth.  It's not always the case, but mostly so.

If you are generally in good health and seek medical attention at an early stage, you have excellent chances of recovering from COVID-19 or other types of flu.

I get the flu shot every year and the last time I had any sort of flu was 25 years ago.  During those years, I traveled extensively internationally and in the U.S. and have lived in Thailand 10 months a year since 2011.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• Great Info 1

Well being over 60 it has been suggested that I avoid large gatherings and public transport.  As much as I think I would be OK I understand that most of these suggestions are for my benefit to lesson the chances of me being in contact with somebody who may have the virus.

The governments need to do something as we will get comments from the normal half glass empty members here saying the governments have not done enough to protect their citizens. I am sure this will be dealt with in time and the peak will be reached soon but to do nothing and listen to speculation from people with no medical training is not my idea of useful information at a time where country after country is beginning to see cases that can (and have) killed people.

God forbid those naysayers get the virus as I may find myself unable to offer condolences. 

8 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

A typical Pattaya "character" ?

far from it

2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

We have to take the COVID-19 seriously, very seriously, but there is no need to panic.  Worldwide, there have been about 89,000 reported cases so far and about 3,000 deaths.  Source for figures.

It's mainly older people and those who have underlying health problems that are most at risk:  Coronavirus patients with heart disease have a 10% chance of dying. The article gives the mortality rate for patients with various underlying health problems.

The stats below are for the U.S. and come from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

flu.JPG

Since Oct. 1, 2019, there has been one confirmed death from COVID-19, but 18,000 to 46,000 deaths from other types of flu.  The total population of the U.S. is 330 million. I can't give the link, but I read an analysis on a closed Internet site from an individual who claimed to be a healthcare professional.  That person stated most of the deaths from any type of flu  occur among people who didn't have long to live whether or not they caught the flu.  It sounds heartless, but that's the bitter truth.  It's not always the case, but mostly so.

If you are generally in good health and seek medical attention at an early stage, you have excellent chances of recovering from COVID-19 or other types of flu.

I get the flu shot every year and the last time I had any sort of flu was 25 years ago.  During those years, I traveled extensively internationally and in the U.S. and have lived in Thailand 10 months a year since 2011.

Evil

if you believe those figures, or those coming from china, I have a great bar sale deal for you and some land in Fl  to sell too.  seriously 😉

I first saw the danger as catching the virus.

I then thought the greater danger was the travel disruption/possible quarantining.

But now I'm beginning to think that the greatest danger is panic.

• Thumbs Up 3

43 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

if you believe those figures, or those coming from china, I have a great bar sale deal for you and some land in Fl  to sell too.  seriously 😉

I don't have any faith in the figures from China, but I do believe the stats from CDC about the overall flu situation in the U.S.  What do you find suspicious about the CDC figures?

Evil

4 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

US government.

What do you think the U.S. government is doing- overestimating or underestimating the number of cases and deaths?

EDIT IN:  Do you think there are any governments in the world that present figures for disease deaths truthfully?  What countries would those be?

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

8 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

flu.JPG

Evil

EP,

last few years I've had me flu shot also last april they also started to give us Pneumonia shot also.

have never had the flu had a couple of heavy colds years ago when I was working construction thru our winter,no snow so mild compared to USA.

because we are an island we have very good idea what planes land and where from,the 78yrold bloke who died in Perth at the week-end was on a cruise in japan so think they new he had before he landed and they put him in hospital,his wife is also positive.they are also looking for those that come back last week from Iran after they have 4 positives from that plane.

me,iam going to go about my life as usual.

regards

grayray

regards

grayray

• Like 1

Well, I am 67, in good health, survived an very unhealthy (but fun) livestyle till now, so I dont fear this thin any more than anything else. 

Its not gonna stop me going where I want and I am not gonna change anything in my livestyle for it. Basta.

The only thing to fear is fear itself, remember. Oh, yes and the idiot health & safety zealots. I worry more about their decisions than about the virus.

And the other thing is that at 67  you know that anyway you're.closer to the exit then to the entrance.... so why stress ? Enjoy every day.

And if shit happens, spare you RIP, thoughts and other similar stuff.....

But it's not on the agenda, so relax boys !

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

So I’ve been trying to work out how quiet is Pattaya right now because I could take advantage of this and have all the beautiful ladies to myself...but only to come back home with more than just a rash 😂 

Are we talking really quiet like last low season but even more dead with tourists not populating hotels and bars etc.

I’m also wondering if I can get a better deal with hotels being quite empty 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

I'm in the U.S. for a medical procedure and my doctor advises me not to travel back to Thailand for at least two months, maybe longer if corona spreads in Thailand.

Why not pop down to Charleston SC and enjoy our beautiful early spring weather?  :)

• Like 1