COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

4 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Don't forget that she is face to face with very vulnerable people,I doubt she was all masked up for her own protection but so she doesn't pass it on.

Having said that they had an outbreak at the care home that my neighbour's mother is in(& the one where I hope my mum will be temporarily) and nobody got any symptoms.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62183714

Everyone aged 50 and over will be offered a Covid booster vaccine this autumn to top up their immunity and cut their risk of becoming severely ill.

Younger people at high risk from Covid, as well as health and social care staff, will also get the booster. 

Drug companies have been developing updated vaccines to tackle newer variants, however, it is still uncertain which vaccine will be used. 

The original plan meant healthy people aged 50-65 would not have been jabbed. 

However, the immunisation campaign has been expanded as current variants are spreading quickly, it is uncertain how the virus will mutate and it is expected we will be more social this winter than in previous years so the virus will have more chance to spread. 

The updated advice comes from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), which advises governments in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

It says the booster should be offered to:

health and social care staff

everyone aged 50 and over

carers who are over the age of 16

people over 5 whose health puts them at greater risk, this includes pregnant women

people over 5 who share a house with somebody with a weakened immune system 

The details of the rollout have not been confirmed, however, it is thought immunisation will start with the oldest and most vulnerable from September.

• Like 2

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2347843/govt-warns-bangkok-governor-to-curb-activities-to-prevent-covid-spread

Govt warns Bangkok governor to curb activities to prevent Covid spread

Prayut concerned about situation after holiday

The Public Health Ministry will on Monday tell Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt to limit public activities to minimise a possible coronavirus resurgence.

Kiattiphum Wongrajit, permanent secretary for public health affairs, said on Sunday he will call for the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to reduce the number of events drawing large crowds.

14 hours ago, john luke said:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2347843/govt-warns-bangkok-governor-to-curb-activities-to-prevent-covid-spread

Govt warns Bangkok governor to curb activities to prevent Covid spread

Prayut concerned about situation after holiday

The Public Health Ministry will on Monday tell Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt to limit public activities to minimise a possible coronavirus resurgence.

Kiattiphum Wongrajit, permanent secretary for public health affairs, said on Sunday he will call for the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to reduce the number of events drawing large crowds.

I think I'm going to like the new Bangkok governor. His reply...

Governor backs outdoor events

Bangkok governor Chadchart Sittipunt yesterday insisted on holding more public events aimed at boosting the economy, saying they are not to blame for the rise in new Covid-19 infections.

He was responding to concerns raised by the Ministry of Public Health over the risks posed by City Hall's launch of an outdoor film festival in the city.

"If there is a sound reason for us to call off these activities, we will be more than happy to stop… but to cancel without any good reason will only make people panic," the governor said.

"As for now, since there has not been any clear indication that we should stop, we will stick to our plan," he said.

Outdoor activities draw people away from closed spaces such as shopping malls where the risk of Covid-19 spreading is possibly higher, he added.

• Like 2

Just tested + for my second bout of covid. Last time was just after it had appeared in May / June 2020 and I felt absolutely wank, really knocked me out for 6.

I'm also certain that I got it tuesday, as I was in the office with nothing to do, and it transpires that a member of staff went off Weds morning with Covid, so with the AC units and fans blowing the air around I expect there may be a few more off as well.

This time, probably a different variant, but I'm triple jabbed, just hot a snotty nose and sore throat.

• Sad 3
  • Surprised 1

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Just tested + for my second bout of covid. Last time was just after it had appeared in May / June 2020 and I felt absolutely wank, really knocked me out for 6.

I'm also certain that I got it tuesday, as I was in the office with nothing to do, and it transpires that a member of staff went off Weds morning with Covid, so with the AC units and fans blowing the air around I expect there may be a few more off as well.

This time, probably a different variant, but I'm triple jabbed, just hot a snotty nose and sore throat.

You work with Joe Biden?

• Haha 1

I visited my GP yesterday to ask him if he would agree to giving me a cortisone injection in my left knee which is never pain free these days. It just varies from dull ache to excruciating pain on a daily basis.

Firstly, I asked him if he was okay as the Practice had been closed for a total of 8 days recently due to GP's illness. He laughed and told me yes he had just recovered from his second bout of covid. Apparently not only had most of the GP's contracted covid but also several of the support staff as well.

He readily agreed to my request for a cortisone jag which will have to be given by a particular GP at the Practice.

I am waiting for my initial  outpatient orthopedic appointment and asked if he could do anything to chase it along only to be told he had marked it as urgent and he could do no more. However, given Scotland almost certainly has record numbers of positive covid cases he suggested I telephone the number on the letter I had received from the Orthopedic booking service and advise them that I would make myself available at short notice.  My GP mentioned that they are bound to be receiving covid related cancellations.

I phoned the number as soon as I returned home and was advised that I was now listed as able to accept last minute appointments. Maybe a covid dark cloud will have a silver lining?

• Like 4

Spoke too soon last night. I slept 16 hours and sweated like a blind lesbian in a fish shop.

Full of aches and pains, starving hungry but not enough energy to go downstairs and see what's on offer. Tragically I've got a couple of 25 year old Nurses on hand to ensure my brow is wiped and I'm looked after, so I'm going to whatsapp one of them to tend to my needs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 7:07 AM, Stillearly said:

yet you keep on posting on the Covid thread ... 

He does and it's a whine fest every time about this and that. Of course it's always easy to pop off when you have no solution to the problem. Whine about masks, whine about vaccines, whine about shitting your pants and whine about pissing them. 

Beating Covid is going to take more than whining if we want to get back to normal. It's going to take some aggressive action.

A. Let's increase wastewater testing. It's cheap and a great predictor of our next surge.

B. Too many people are testing at home now. We need to integrate these numbers with public reporting.

C. Despite all the crazy tin foil hat movement, vaccinations have achieved a reduction of deaths and hospitalizations.

D. Work continues on new vaccines. We need to keep the petal on the metal here.

E. Adequate indoor ventilation systems are a must. This alone may be a deal breaker.

Edited by Kathmandu
  • Like 1

In a further blow to conspiracy theorists and Sinophobes, two recently published papers further indicate the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market as the likely source of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic.

The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan was the early epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic

Abstract

Understanding how severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) emerged in 2019 is critical to preventing zoonotic outbreaks before they become the next pandemic. The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, China, was identified as a likely source of cases in early reports but later this conclusion became controversial. We show the earliest known COVID-19 cases from December 2019, including those without reported direct links, were geographically centered on this market. We report that live SARS-CoV-2 susceptible mammals were sold at the market in late 2019 and, within the market, SARS-CoV-2-positive environmental samples were spatially associated with vendors selling live mammals. While there is insufficient evidence to define upstream events, and exact circumstances remain obscure, our analyses indicate that the emergence of SARS-CoV-2 occurred via the live wildlife trade in China, and show that the Huanan market was the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The molecular epidemiology of multiple zoonotic origins of SARS-CoV-2

Abstract

Understanding the circumstances that lead to pandemics is important for their prevention. Here, we analyze the genomic diversity of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) early in the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. We show that SARS-CoV-2 genomic diversity before February 2020 likely comprised only two distinct viral lineages, denoted A and B. Phylodynamic rooting methods, coupled with epidemic simulations, reveal that these lineages were the result of at least two separate cross-species transmission events into humans. The first zoonotic transmission likely involved lineage B viruses around 18 November 2019 (23 October–8 December), while the separate introduction of lineage A likely occurred within weeks of this event. These findings indicate that it is unlikely that SARS-CoV-2 circulated widely in humans prior to November 2019 and define the narrow window between when SARS-CoV-2 first jumped into humans and when the first cases of COVID-19 were reported. As with other coronaviruses, SARS-CoV-2 emergence likely resulted from multiple zoonotic events.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:20 PM, fygjam said:

In a further blow to conspiracy theorists and Sinophobes, two recently published papers further indicate the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market as the likely source of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic.

The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan was the early epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic

Abstract

Understanding how severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) emerged in 2019 is critical to preventing zoonotic outbreaks before they become the next pandemic. The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, China, was identified as a likely source of cases in early reports but later this conclusion became controversial. We show the earliest known COVID-19 cases from December 2019, including those without reported direct links, were geographically centered on this market. We report that live SARS-CoV-2 susceptible mammals were sold at the market in late 2019 and, within the market, SARS-CoV-2-positive environmental samples were spatially associated with vendors selling live mammals. While there is insufficient evidence to define upstream events, and exact circumstances remain obscure, our analyses indicate that the emergence of SARS-CoV-2 occurred via the live wildlife trade in China, and show that the Huanan market was the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The molecular epidemiology of multiple zoonotic origins of SARS-CoV-2

Abstract

Understanding the circumstances that lead to pandemics is important for their prevention. Here, we analyze the genomic diversity of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) early in the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. We show that SARS-CoV-2 genomic diversity before February 2020 likely comprised only two distinct viral lineages, denoted A and B. Phylodynamic rooting methods, coupled with epidemic simulations, reveal that these lineages were the result of at least two separate cross-species transmission events into humans. The first zoonotic transmission likely involved lineage B viruses around 18 November 2019 (23 October–8 December), while the separate introduction of lineage A likely occurred within weeks of this event. These findings indicate that it is unlikely that SARS-CoV-2 circulated widely in humans prior to November 2019 and define the narrow window between when SARS-CoV-2 first jumped into humans and when the first cases of COVID-19 were reported. As with other coronaviruses, SARS-CoV-2 emergence likely resulted from multiple zoonotic events.

Covid....Was a made for T.V movie.....I tell you its hard being 100% right...

Got myself a second dose of the lurgy, a lot worse than last time around 7 months ago. started with a sore throat Sinuses are stinging like f**k and sweating like a glassblowers arse.must have picked it up in Stratford on Avon at the weekend.So far the wife has not got it which I find strange .

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Binlid said:

Got myself a second dose of the lurgy, a lot worse than last time around 7 months ago. started with a sore throat Sinuses are stinging like f**k and sweating like a glassblowers arse.must have picked it up in Stratford on Avon at the weekend.So far the wife has not got it which I find strange .

That's a drag, still around 1 in 20 are carrying it apparently and either not bothering to self isolate or thinking that they have a cold, asymptomatic

Hope you feel better soon and in time for your holiday. I am going to a concert on Saturday nearby, it could be my unlucky day next 

• Thumbs Up 1

My daughter tested positive on Monday morning at the children's nursery she runs. That is the second time she has had covid. She has been far worse this time but symptoms still no worse than the flu and much shorter duration than flu.

Both her husband and my 12 year old grandson have had it twice.

I have had four vaccinations in less than a year and recovered from covid about six weeks ago. 

My GP has had it twice. 

5 hours ago, Binlid said:

Sa had it 2 or 3 weeks ago, though just pretty much had a sore throat, nothing else.

Me or Caitlin never caught it.

These variants are super contagious, but ... 

I think Covid will never be over for some people, not sure if the Governments have scared them too much, they buy into too much media scaremongering, or their disposition is just to over react in general. 

Covid isn't going anywhere, best get used to living with it like all the other nasty respiratory illnesses. 

Those that want to continue with the many different boosters that will continue to be churned out, carry on. If i had some sort of underlying health issue that made me much more susceptible to an illness like Covid, i'd be in the queue for my 2nd booster, 4th jab in total.

But i don't. And i've had Covid twice, once before vaccination, once after. Well, only twice that i know of, i mean, the first time i didn't even know until i tested positive for the antibodies, it was that severe! 

So as it currently stands, i won't be getting any more vaccines, vaccines that as it stands, don't even stop transmission against the current Covid, and it's debatable if they do much at all against the current strains. But fear not, they'll be multiple more vaccines tailor made to all the different new variants, for anyone that wants them going forward, that's for sure!

My daughter has never been vaccinated for Covid, nor will she be for something she doesn't need as it stands. 

But to each their own, everyone can do what they feel is best. I've always been against mandates, no one should be forced one way or another, there are much better ways if need be. 

Personally i think there's currently much more important things going in the world to worry about, or deserve our attention at the moment. The economy for example. The UK is going into a long recession with the economy f***d.

And if people think the UK economy is bad now, imagine what it would have been like had the we been plunged into a totally needless lockdown again at last Xmas, as the media scaremongering, those lefty minded and politically motivated scientists, and those prone to over reacting wanted.

Thank f**k those days as over, more sanity and looking at the bigger picture. We're in a completely different place than where we were when this all kicked off over 2 years ago, completely different in all sorts of ways. Those that want to keep getting vaccines crack on, they'll be loads of different ones ongoing, that's a cert. Keep wearing a mask, don't go on airplanes, avoid crowds, do whatever you personally feel comfortable with.

Me? Covid has taught me a big lesson in that you just don't know what's around the corner, so i'm enjoying life as much as i possibly can now, now that i still can. I'm not gonna leave us on beans and toast, but at the same time if i want to go somewhere or buy something, i just do it :default_biggrin:

18582020_10211143826163831_7391669037831605338_n.jpg.f94933989eb3f548a7ed595dd5dd551a.jpg

Edited by Krapow
  • Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, fygjam said:

You might have more cred if you addressed the science.

I guess that's not going to happen!

I have a PHD in critical thinking.....No more research is needed...

Heck I should be a advisor to Presidents and be giving seminars...