Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

From the GOAT professional surfer Kelly Slater...

I grew up listening to @jimmybuffett with my family. His music basically outlined the lives we desired…fishing, diving, dreaming about being in the tropics, playing music, and just living the dream. I met Jimmy in France in 2010 about 8 years or so after my dad died and the first day I told him how much he reminded me of my own father and from that moment on he kind of became a surrogate to me, occasionally calling me from some far off land telling me he missed me and I had to come visit him wherever he was. He told me life was too short not to take every good opportunity that came along and go live it. I’m not sure I’ve met many people with as positive an attitude who were as welcoming and giving as Jimmy has been to me, just one of the many thousands of friends he’s had around this world. He laughed about making a living out of 3 chord songs and once told me, ‘Ya know, if Jack (@jackjohnson) would just let me do his marketing I could make him a looooot of money!’. Yesterday Jimmy passed on to the next life. And I’m having a tough time accepting that. But I do feel blessed to have had some really incredible memories every single time I hung out with him, whether it was him flying me to my brother’s bachelor party in Key West, joining us for a surf and a dinner in Hossegor, making me play a song with him at his restaurant, or giving me his guest house in Palm Beach for the night and taking me for a round of golf the next day. I really don’t want to believe such a fine man is gone but I’m thankful and lucky for the times we had. It’s 5 o’clock somewhere, Jimmy, and I know you’d be smoking a joint with a drink in your hand and a huge smile on your face like any good pirate would. Thanks for being one of the good guys. It was a real dream to know you. 🥲 And as he always signed off…Fins Up!

. . .

Screenshot 2023-09-02 073058.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/kellyslater/

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Actually, he made it right up to his life expectancy...

. . .

"U.S. life expectancy has declined to 76.4 years, the shortest it’s been in nearly two decades, according to December data from the CDC."

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/whats-behind-shocking-u-s-life-expectancy-decline-and-what-to-do-about-it/

Well seeing how expensive it is to live in the USA now would stress anyone out....I think in California apartments are rented for at least 2,000 dollars a month and that's for a cheap one...

• Thumbs Up 1

Late 1990’s was a happy time time in my life….finishing school, drinking like a fish, discovering the ladies, highest testosterone levels, 19” pipes……and you heard these guys’ songs on the radio non-stop. What a glorious era, after 2000 things changed for the worse 😥 Always loved that their debut album was a nod to Tony Montana in Scarface…..anyway hope the boy isn’t suffering 

image.png

image.png

• Sad 2

On 9/3/2023 at 4:16 PM, forqalso said:

Paul McCartney said,

It seems that so many wonderful people are leaving this world, and now Jimmy Buffett is one of them. I’ve known Jimmy for some time and found him to be one of the kindest and most generous people. 

I remember once on holiday when I had forgotten to bring my guitar and was itching to play. He said he would get me one of his, but I said, ‘I’m left-handed’. So, Jimmy had his roadie restring one of his guitars which he loaned me for the duration of the holiday. He then followed this act of generosity by giving me my own beautiful left-handed guitar that had been made by one of his guitar-making pals. It’s a beautiful instrument, and every time I play it now it’ll remind me of what a great man Jimmy was. 

He had a most amazing lust for life and a beautiful sense of humour. When we swapped tales about the past his were so exotic and lush and involved sailing trips and surfing and so many exciting stories that it was hard for me to keep up with him. 

Right up to the last minute his eyes still twinkled with a humour that said, ‘I love this world and I’m going to enjoy every minute of it’. 

So many of us will miss Jimmy and his tremendous personality. His love for us all, and for mankind as a whole. 

Last, but not least, is his songwriting and vocal ability. If someone made an interesting remark he repeated it in his gorgeous Louisiana drawl and said, ‘That’s a good idea for a song’. Most times it didn’t take too long for that song to appear. I was very happy to have played on one of his latest songs called ‘My Gummy Just Kicked In’. We had a real fun session and he played me some of his new songs. One, in particular, I loved was the song, ‘Bubbles Up’. And I told him that not only was the song great but the vocal was probably the best I’ve heard him sing ever. He turned a diving phrase that is used to train people underwater into a metaphor for life when you’re confused and don’t know where you are just follow the bubbles - they’ll take you up to the surface and straighten you out right away. 

So long, Jim. You are a very special man and friend and it was a great privilege to get to know you and love you. Bubbles up, my friend. 

Love, Paul

The songs mentioned in Paul's tribute have now been released. RIP Jimmy

Jimmy Buffett Has 3 Posthumous Singles Bubblin’ Up

At midnight on September 8, the late great Jimmy Buffett released three new singles from that eternal five o’clock up in the sky. The songs — “Bubbles Up,” “My Gummie Just Kicked In,” and “Like My Dog” — had been previewed in short radio sneak peeks as part of the rollout for his upcoming album, Equal Strain on All Parts, which will have a posthumous release this November. Now, all three are available, streaming in full.

My favorite based on the title...

• Thanks 1

Just a quick note about Jimmy Buffett. I have a friend back home in Calif, he was and is still in the catering/hospitality business and has his own exclusive rights to several bars in the Shoreline Ampitheater in Mountain View, Calif. This place holds 20k for concerts during the spring/summer and falll time right? Been there many times for concerts. 

He told me no band, artist or anything came close to when Jimmy Buffett played there? For what? Overall quantity of alcohol consumption. All the vendors made "bank" whe he was in town. That I was surprided at! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

That's genuinely sad for me... Had an album of his in the early 70s. 

Lovely voice and easy to listen to. Brilliant whistler aswell.... My dad was the same. 

I posted on the "what are you listening to" thread , his songs remind me of Saturday nights when I was a young kid, normally staying at my Grandparents.. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I posted on the "what are you listening to" thread , his songs remind me of Saturday nights when I was a young kid, normally staying at my Grandparents.. 

Exactly same as me mate. I think he had his own show on TV at one time. Can't remember when though. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stillearly said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66843162

Roger Whittaker: Durham Town folk singer dies at 87

Very sad news. I met him in the late 70's, early 80's at the Kilkenny Air show in Ireland. I was the coach driver shuttling them between their hotels and the airfield and he had his own little plane.

The man was an absolute gentleman and a pleasure to talk with, my girlfriend at the time was a 19 yr old babe and she absolutely fell for him and I vaguely remember him doing a set at the hotel on the Saturday night which went down well.

RIP Roger.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Bobbyg said:

RIP Roger Whittaker

Sad to hear this - I  can still recall what a big hit his song "The Last Farewell" was in the mid/late '70s, can't remember what year - I remember a friend of mine at the time saying, "it's like a technicolour movie in a song" and it was, really - lovely song.