COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

25 minutes ago, Krapow said:

I'd be absolutely delighted if we lifted/were in a position to lift our lockdown in mid May. 

f**k sake i'll have a full Afro by that time, first stop barbers!!!

know about long hair mine was driving me more nutty than usual,

so went last Thursday,got a number 4.

wee bit cool this am had to start wearing a beanie.

hope you and your wife and wee girl are all well/safe.you can always get the wife to attack the hair.

regards

grayray

• Thanks 1

Well,I have to be perfectly honest here.
Would love to see the kids back in school,which sucks for them.My lad is just about done not being able to see his buddies and stuff.

But overall,we couldn’t have had it any better.The boat is being launched on Friday,which means,we can go cruising .Sure,no marine pubs are open,but we can still fish and crab.

Springtime here is stunning ,we are really doing it quite easy.

It could go on for another three months and I would be content.
Vancouver Island has 80 or so cases I think?Not even sure becuase HAvnt been checking.

Lumber store was open today,got everything I needed.

Pubs are all doing take out menus,and I can even get booze delivered to my door.

Besides the fact my gym is closed and we are taking a beating there,everything else is actually ok.

Zero  complaints from our little bubble. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Now, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but one thing I can't get my head around is the figures around the world regarding infections. 

It seems disproportionate to me that the West (Europe and the USA) have way more infections of covid than where this disease came from in the first place. How can this be? 

China has covered up the figures I'm sure but what about Los? Apparently, there were 30,000 visitors from the Whuhan to Thailand early doors. Iran has had more notable cases than Yemen (1)and in India there are only 10,000 cases according to worldometer. Take a look at Country v country if its true 🤔

I just don't understand why places like Italy, spain, France, the UK and the USA seem to be bearing the brunt of this disease. Can some bright spark enlighten me? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Aqualung said:

Now, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but one thing I can't get my head around is the figures around the world regarding infections. 

It seems disproportionate to me that the West (Europe and the USA) have way more infections of covid than where this disease came from in the first place. How can this be? 

China has covered up the figures I'm sure but what about Los? Apparently, there were 30,000 visitors from the Whuhan to Thailand early doors. Iran has had more notable cases than Yemen (1)and in India there are only 10,000 cases according to worldometer. Take a look at Country v country if its true 🤔

I just don't understand why places like Italy, spain, France, the UK and the USA seem to be bearing the brunt of this disease. Can some bright spark enlighten me? 

Nope.I can say however,that I’ve built a few houses for Chinese home owners,and let’s just say that on more that a couple of occasions,I’ve stood in the basement with my chainsaw running,threatening to cut bearing points unless they paid me.

But I’ve also shown up at an Iranian s house on Christmas Day ,to get paid as well.😁

9 hours ago, tommy dee said:

Talking about Hydroxychloroquine

the dose is weird, 4 a day for 2 days then 2.. then 2 a wek to top up.  the first few days I had the squits for sure, after that nothing special at all.  FWIW Facino were due to get more supplies this week. I have no idea if they work,but am willing to try anything as am at high risk

Breaking News! COVID-19 Drugs: Another Chloroquine Clinical Trial Stopped Over Risk of Fatal Heart Complications As 11 Patients Die

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/breaking-news-covid-19-drugs-another-chloroquine-clinical-trial-stopped-over-risk-of-fatal-heart-complications-as-11-patients-die

20 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Breaking News! COVID-19 Drugs: Another Chloroquine Clinical Trial Stopped Over Risk of Fatal Heart Complications As 11 Patients Die

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/breaking-news-covid-19-drugs-another-chloroquine-clinical-trial-stopped-over-risk-of-fatal-heart-complications-as-11-patients-die

oh bollox ..

coughs and grabs his chest 😉

2 hours ago, Aqualung said:

One reason for the difference in figures is in the amount of testing that each country does. More advanced countries with better health systems are doing more testing to try and identify the amount of their citizens who  are infected. The better to deal with the epidemic. Less developed countries don't have the capability to do this and therefore their figures really don't reflect the reality. A third group of countries, LOS being one, believe by ignoring the problem it will go away. These countries figures also can't be trusted. There are probably other reasons for the disparity in figures but IMO this is the main one.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, alias said:

"We are not ready for the next epidemic"  We NEVER are, nor will we ever be. 

Dunno how "sciency" you guys are, but when you ponder the avenues of transmission for contagion, it approaches futility and delusion to think you can avoid it.

I gave up studying Chemistry at 18, and move onto Economics and Tech- so wouldn't call myself "sciency"

Haven't  heard any of the Scientists here talk about anything other than containment and slowing the rate of contagion.

The Gates video (and the was FIVE years ago), was about preparation and mediation. It's going to happen, how to we slow the rate of transmission and lessen the effects. He was looking at what happened with EBOLA and how the world could learn from it

So again FIVE years ago, he thought:

• We are not prepared for the next pandemic
  • The next virus (comparing to EBOLA) could see asymptomatic people transmitting via air travel
  • Mobile tech could  be used to push and pull info to track the infection
  • We would need a reserve medical corps working in conjunction with the military
  • We need to step up investment in R&D would vaccinations and diagnostics- that the cost would be modest compared to the potential harm

He was totally wrong though about hoarding 😃. No need he said to panic buy tins of spaghetti. He also failed to predict the shortage of bog roll😮.

Personally I find Bill Gates a bit creepy but that's not the point . 

None of Propagandists that people are being suckered by now, would have anything relevant to say five years ago. They'd be nothing then and will have reverted back to being a nobody five years hence.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 1

Not surprised by the results of this study.

NYU scientists: Largest US study of COVID-19 finds obesity the single biggest 'chronic' factor in New York City's hospitalizations

"The chronic condition with the strongest association with critical illness was obesity, with a substantially higher odds ratio than any cardiovascular or pulmonary disease," write lead author Christopher M. Petrilli of the NYU Grossman School and colleagues in a paper, "Factors associated with hospitalization and critical illness among 4,103 patients with COVID-19 disease in New York City," which was posted April 11 on the medRxiv pre-print server. (The paper has not been peer-reviewed, which should be kept in mind in considering its conclusions.)

Among other things, the presence of obesity in the study points to a potentially important role of heightened inflammation in patients -- a phenomenon that has been a topic of much speculation in numerous studies of the disease.

• Like 1

When Chancellor Rishi Sunak first announced his bail-out plan last month, it was estimated that ten to 20 per cent of workers in the ­private sector would need Government support.

Now economic forecasters believe it could be a third of the total private sector workforce. That will cost the British taxpayer between £30billion and £40billion every three months.

To date, about a fifth of small businesses have been pushed into bankruptcy. If the lockdown continues to July, that figure will rise to a third.

The effect of this on the economy will be catastrophic. According to the ­Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, Britain’s GDP could contract by 25 per cent over the next two years. It shrank by six per cent during the global financial crisis of 2007-09.

The Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) says the lockdown is costing £2.4billion a day.

'BIGGEST ECONOMIC DOWNTURN'

Given we are now 21 days into the lockdown, this means we are already more than £50billlion out of pocket.

In short, if we don’t ease off on the social distancing measures and re-boot the economy, we’re heading for the biggest economic downturn since the 1930s.

Against this, we are told that if we end the lockdown more people will become infected, demand for critical hospital care will outstrip the NHS’s capacity and we’ll begin to see people dying in even greater numbers.

I’m sceptical about that prognosis.

It is based on the statistical modelling of Professor Neil Ferguson and his team at Imperial College, but there is mounting evidence that they under-estimated the percentage of the population already infected with coronavirus and over-estimated how deadly this disease is.

According to Prof Ferguson’s model, fewer than five per cent of people have been infected. But according to another model, this one produced by Oxford University, it could be higher than 50 per cent, which would mean we are on our way to acquiring herd immunity.

When Chris Whitty, England’s Chief Medical Officer, was asked at Thursday’s press conference what percentage of the world’s population has been infected, he put the figure at 30 per cent.

If the true figure is between 30 and 50 per cent, the NHS can probably cope if we ease off on some of the more extreme social distancing measures.

Would ending the lockdown be ­gambling with people’s lives? Yes, but so will keeping it in place.

Economic downturns cost lives, just as surely as viruses. During the global financial crisis of 2007–09, the suicide rate in Europe increased by 6.5 per cent. Economic recessions also cause a rise in poverty, domestic ­violence and murder.

Philip Thomas, professor of risk ­management at Bristol University, has calculated that if our GDP falls by more than 6.4 per cent as a result of the lockdown, more years of life will be lost than saved.

Politicians here and elsewhere have justified their cautious approach by ­saying they refuse to put a price on human life, as though the trade-off is between the lives of vulnerable people and economic growth.

But the real trade-off is between the lives we might lose if we end the ­lockdown tomorrow and the lives we know we will lose if we keep it in place indefinitely.

MPs aren’t being morally ­courageous. Rather, they’re just focusing on the next 24-hour news cycle, as they always do.

What’s needed is a bold political leader who’s willing to risk some short-term pain to re-start the economy, thereby safeguarding all of our futures.

I know of just such a person, but unfortunately he’s in hospital recovering from coronavirus.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11380147/lift-coronavirus-lockdown-debate/amp/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebaramp

• Great Info 1

On 3/31/2020 at 3:41 PM, fygjam said:

Right-wing outrage merchant Toby Young has today once again been panned for writing an idiotic article, this time about coronavirus.

In a column for Critic Magazine, Young essentially says that the government shouldn’t be spending so much on saving people from coronavirus.

https://scramnews.com/toby-young-heartless-article-coronavirus-deaths/

Once again, Toby Young in talking bollocks shocker in the post above this one, nevermind the previous quoted one -

This, in Toby Young's Sun article, is completely untrue. Patrick Vallance (not Whitty) said on Thursday that 30-50% of all coronavirus cases were *asymptomatic*. He didn't say 30-50% of the population had been infected. He actually said it's likely "low single-digit percentages."

Edited by Krapow
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Once again, Toby Young in talking bollocks shocker above -

This, in Toby Young's Sun article, is completely untrue. Patrick Vallance (not Whitty) said on Thursday that 30-50% of all coronavirus cases were *asymptomatic*. He didn't say 30-50% of the population had been infected. He actually said it's likely "low single-digit percentages."

EVeJeOoXgAAOLfJ.jpg

You're completely missing the point. It's highly likely that a significant percentage of the population has already been infected by this virus. Destroying the economy, bankrupting businesses, making millions unemployed is going to kill more people than the Coronavirus. 

• Like 1