COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

U.S. will not impose COVID-19 screenings for flights from Britain – sources

WASHINGTON/CHICAGO (Reuters) – The U.S. government does not intend to impose COVID-19 screenings for passengers traveling from Britain after the emergence of a highly infectious new coronavirus variant there, people briefed on the decision said.

White House coronavirus task force members backed requiring negative pre-flight tests after a meeting on Monday, but the Trump administration has decided not to take any action for the time being, the people said.

Much of the world shut their borders to Britain after the discovery of a mutated variant of the novel coronavirus, though the European Union recommended on Tuesday that members roll back sweeping closures to allow some travel.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-britain/u-s-will-not-impose-covid-19-screenings-for-flights-from-britain-sources-idUSKBN28W23B

1 minute ago, Zeb said:

U.S. will not impose COVID-19 screenings for flights from Britain – sources

WASHINGTON/CHICAGO (Reuters) – The U.S. government does not intend to impose COVID-19 screenings for passengers traveling from Britain after the emergence of a highly infectious new coronavirus variant there, people briefed on the decision said.

White House coronavirus task force members backed requiring negative pre-flight tests after a meeting on Monday, but the Trump administration has decided not to take any action for the time being, the people said.

Much of the world shut their borders to Britain after the discovery of a mutated variant of the novel coronavirus, though the European Union recommended on Tuesday that members roll back sweeping closures to allow some travel.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-britain/u-s-will-not-impose-covid-19-screenings-for-flights-from-britain-sources-idUSKBN28W23B

Another Trump idiotie....

6 hours ago, fforest said:

No they are waiting for right after the inauguration of the new USA president on Wednesday January 20th before they will be cranking up the fear machine and put it in high gear.....Until then they will just be slowly ratcheting things up.....

Who's 'they'?

10 hours ago, Washedup said:

Etihad airways will now require all UK passengers to have covid-19 test before flying..I'd of thought these measures were brought in months ago 

Both Etihad and Emirates brought in this requirement a few months ago.  Emirates dropped it for some origins/destinations but Etihad have kept it in place for all passengers AFAIK.

Sigh, 'your government'!

Anyone who thinks Boris who was elected with a huge majority to do pretty much what he wanted, is somehow putting this restrictions in place for any other reason than he feels he has to, as if the NHS bursts, the country will implode, is off their head.  His ratings are already plummeted, his Party is at war with eachother about it, instead of the huge majority, he'll probably get voted out due to it, what he's doing is Political suicide, so unpopular, for someone who craves to be liked.

I get people are frustrated, but there is no big conspiracy, it is what it is. Sure all leaders will be erring moreso on the side of caution, no one wants to be the one who allowed a potential catastrophe to happen despite being warned about it, but that's it, no 'they're' not doing this on purpose for some sinister reason. 

I knew i shouldn't have posted in this thread again, some people are so detached from reality is frightening. 

Carry on children, some want to believe there's some big conspiracy, your choice. I can't be bothered with the same tedious shite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

https://asiatimes.com/2020/12/no-need-for-panic-over-uks-new-virus-strain/

A few extracts :

Viruses such as SARS-CoV-2 mutate all the time – not deliberately or even cunningly, as some apocalyptic recent coverage seems to imply, but as an inevitable accidental byproduct of the often error-strewn process of viral genome replication.

Such mutations of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which are extremely common in the natural evolution of all viruses, have been recorded in more than 130 countries, including the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Oman, Pakistan and India. There have been more than 750 new strains recorded in the US alone.

In the UK the public health response throughout the pandemic has been compromised by politically motivated indecision, half-measures and demoralizing U-turns, the latest being a confusing series of semi-lockdowns, varying from region to region, and a last-minute reversal of plans, widely condemned by scientists, to relax restrictions over the Christmas period.

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

Sigh, 'your government'!

Anyone who thinks Boris who was elected with a huge majority to do pretty much what he wanted, is somehow putting this restrictions in place for any other reason than he feels he has to, as if the NHS bursts, the country will implode, is off their head.  His ratings are already plummeted, his Party is at war with eachother about it, instead of the huge majority, he'll probably get voted out due to it, what he's doing is Political suicide, so unpopular, for someone who craves to be liked.

I get people are frustrated, but there is no big conspiracy, it is what it is. Sure all leaders will be erring moreso on the side of caution, no one wants to be the one who allowed a potential catastrophe to happen despite being warned about it, but that's it, no 'they're' not doing this on purpose for some sinister reason. 

I knew i shouldn't have posted in this thread again, some people are so detached from reality is frightening. 

Carry on children, some want to believe there's some big conspiracy, your choice. I can't be bothered with the same tedious shite.

Derek, you need to thank heaven for small mercies that Richard and Matthew are not posting here :default_biggrin:

News source...  John bell a professor of medicine at oxford university has said the oxford vaccine could get the go ahead just after Christmas 

He has also stated the data behind the jab is looking "better than ever"

Remember he will have access to much newer data. 

👍

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

Sigh, 'your government'!

Never should have been elected in the 1st place. 

Incapable plonker but much like Trump had extremely weak opposition. 

Must be a sign of the times when countries that used to lead the free world are ruled by perhaps the weakest leadership in history, and Biden is not much better than Trump in that respect. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Washedup said:

News source...  John bell a professor of medicine at oxford university has said the oxford vaccine could get the go ahead just after Christmas 

He has also stated the data behind the jab is looking "better than ever"

Remember he will have access to much newer data. 

👍

Nothing in there sound at least a little dubious to you? 

So it’s a variant – not a strain?

Yes. The term strain is only appropriate when referring to Sars-Cov-2, the virus causing the
Covid-19 disease – since it is a strain of the wider coronavirus family, including severe
acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).

At a briefing organised by the UK’s Science Media Centre on Tuesday, Prof Tom Connor of
the School of Biosciences at Cardiff University explained: “There is one strain of
coronavirus. That is Sars-Cov-2. That is the single strain, and there are variants of that
strain.
These are variants.”

Prof Connor said the term strain is often misused. “The correct term to use is variant to
describe this particular variant of concern.”

What about mutation?

Mutation is the process by which a strain can take on new variants. The idea of a mutating
or “mutant” virus may sound frightening – but scientists have made clear it is normal and
expected.

Some of these mutations are “silent” and don’t have any function, but others have made
some significant changes to the biology of Sars-CoV-2.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-strain-mutation-variant-england-b1777724.html