COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

Will life go back to normal after we get the vaccine?

Unfortunately, it will probably still take a while before life resembles our pre-COVID-19 days, and new behaviours such as social distancing, wearing masks and sanitising our hands will be with us for some time yet.

What we don’t know yet is whether immunised people can still pick up the virus from others and spread it anyway, without actually showing any disease.

To get population-wide protection from COVID-19, we need to stop the spread of the virus. Otherwise people who can’t get the vaccine – such as people with compromised immune systems – will still be able to catch it from others.

Another point to consider is that older people’s immune systems often react differently to younger people. We know that additional trials in older people are under way, but we haven't yet seen evidence that this vaccine will work for them.

This vaccine is welcome news, as it can stop some people from getting sick and ease some of the pressure on our health systems. But a single deployment of a vaccine may not wipe COVID-19 out of our society altogether.

Antivirals, as you can tell from the name, are treatments that work against viruses.

Antiviral drugs can help against COVID-19 by reducing the severity of the disease in people who are already infected. There are thousands of clinical trials to evaluate potential drugs right now, so watch this space

https://www.smh.com.au/national/even-with-a-vaccine-it-will-take-time-for-life-to-return-to-normal-20201206-p56kz6.html

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lazarus said:

You & a few friends...

Never too old to do some skiing and Summer monster trout fishing.

Real estate in Lake Tahoe skyrockets as more work from home

https://mynews4.com/news/local/lake-tahoe-real-estate-booms-from-work-from-anywhere-crowd

interweb pic

I actually just sold last summer a house in Homewood on the west side of Tahoe. Foergot about working from home there, as a major storm would hit and it would be 1-2 weeks with no power or internet.

But the prices have skyrocketed - I listed it on Tuesday, and by the weekend I had several offers above the listing price. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Mrmango said:

I actually just sold last summer a house in Homewood on the west side of Tahoe. Foergot about working from home there, as a major storm would hit and it would be 1-2 weeks with no power or internet.

But the prices have skyrocketed - I listed it on Tuesday, and by the weekend I had several offers above the listing price. 

Good luck ..... I have never been to Tahoe ..... it looks like a beautiful place .. how are the taxes there ?

2 hours ago, Mrmango said:

Not just there here in nz i just had my house valued ( not sure to rent it out or sell it) its gone up in value by 350% in 13 years in Auckland houses were going up by nz$1200 a day for a couple of years here the median house price in about 1m now

How the Young can afford to buy a house is beyond me

• Like 1

So, vaccine is gonna be the miracle solution . OK.

Country "X" requires all visitors to be vaccinated. If I really want to go, I will take the vaccine.

But than I can expect :

- The cabin crew of my flight to be vaccinated, or pass a Covid test every 2 week.

- Same for the hotel staff in that country.

- Same for all the restaurant staff, etc ....

You see, there is no limit to stupidity. 

Even without speaking about the vaccine, I am asked a negative Covid test less than 3 days old.

So what about all the staff above ? Do they pass a test every 2 week ?

The whole thing is completely ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Country "X" requires all visitors to be vaccinated. If I really want to go, I will take the vaccine.

But than I can expect :

- The cabin crew of my flight to be vaccinated, or pass a Covid test every 2 week.

Even without speaking about the vaccine, I am asked a negative Covid test less than 3 days old.

Well if you've been vaccinated then all the rest is irrelevant.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

But than I can expect :

Assuming you have had both injections, as I understand it, after two weeks following the second injection it doesn’t matter if you come into contact with someone who is carrying Covid 19, as your immune system is able to recognise the virus and deal with it, assuming you’re not in the 5-10 percent in which the vaccine isn’t effective at fighting off the disease. 
I haven’t kept up with the science, but isn’t the above exactly what a vaccine does?

Have the injections and you can treat all those pretty stewardess to membership of the mile high club. 🤗

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

5 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Agreed but it is a first that he appears to be concerned for those around him lol.

Nope to both.

My point is, why ask it to visitors and not to the people who are going to handle the visitors ?

Edited by Thai Spice

29 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

My point is, why ask it to visitors and not to the people who are going to handle the visitors ?

How do you know they wont.

The aircrew who fly you there will probably be required to be vaccinated same as you.

Perhaps the "X"ians know the benefits of vaccination.

PS. The hotel staff looking after the quarantine hotels where I am are required to take a Covid-19 test weekly.

PPS. I saw on tonight's news Indonesia just got a load of Chinese vaccine, maybe the Indonesians are going to require all foreigners get vaccinated.

Edited by fygjam
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Assuming you have had both injections, as I understand it, after two weeks following the second injection it doesn’t matter if you come into contact with someone who is carrying Covid 19, as your immune system is able to recognise the virus and deal with it, assuming you’re not in the 5-10 percent in which the vaccine isn’t effective at fighting off the disease. 
I haven’t kept up with the science, but isn’t the above exactly what a vaccine does?

Have the injections and you can treat all those pretty stewardess to membership of the mile high club. 🤗

What they don't know is that if you come into contact with the virus after being vaccinated can you pass it on.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Good luck ..... I have never been to Tahoe ..... it looks like a beautiful place .. how are the taxes there ?

As to taxes, there is 2 Tahoe's 

The California and Nevada state line goes through Lake Tahoe, so the taxes on the west (California) side are miserable! Not only did I have to pay California's sky high income tax, but they actually forced me to pay a penalty to leave for Hawaii.

The Nevada side (East) is totally different - Nevada has no state income tax.

The killer with Tahoe is the regulations! You must get permission to pull a weed out of your garden...

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

Wow, that's a big trout, what kind is it?

I used to fish Lake Tahoe with my dad when I was a kid...

Per your question...

"The most prominent fish in the lake is the mackinaw (lake trout). They can be found in almost any depths, but usually enjoy steep sandy shelfs between 120 and 300 feet. Lake Tahoe also has Rainbow, brown, cutthroat, and silver trout. Limit is 5 per angler and no more then two can be mackinaw."

https://www.fishingintahoe.com/lake-tahoe-fishing/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, fygjam said:

Well, I like that answer.

So, if you wear YOUR mask the fact that I dont want wear one is irrelevant, because you're safe already !

Exactly my point since months.

19 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Well, I like that answer.

So, if you wear YOUR mask the fact that I dont want wear one is irrelevant, because you're safe already !

Exactly my point since months.

Try not to confuse preventing infection with handling an infection!

• Haha 1