Scooters, Secrets, Keys

tommy dee

9 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Ben started a thread about six months ago saying he had had enough of forums and was going to try just having one level for a while

and that was enough for me, HTF did he think the forum was going to prosper with that thinking and he actually posted it for all to see. I gave up flogging dead horses a long time ago.  

Secrets is dead, long live Thailand - 247

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

16 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Always used to leave my car or bike in the temple up Pattaya Tai before heading to Walking Street, never had a problem there.

There has been many instances of "minor" damage in the Temple Car Park due to totally incompetent drivers who simply are unable to park without hitting another vehicle.

When I used to come into Secrets every day we rented a monthly space in the Temple wee multi story section at a very reasonable rate.

There used to be  a pack of dogs wandering about at night that were scary. 

In more recent times I too have parked both my car and bike overnight without incident. The one time it was shut and I had to park in the School playing field was the last monster thunderstorm we had in Pattaya and it flooded deep enough to just go above the bottom of the car front doors and flooded the inside. Had to drive home with water sploshing about. It took days to clean the inside up, dry it out and get rid of the smell. :default_cry:

• Great Info 2

8 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Anyone been in the bar lately ??? ...... as Thumper et al said Forum is dead but hopefully some of the bar lives on. ........ update  ???

I was going to pop in last night but I went to le pub instead. Had a good night with Alex and Phil. I will pop into shareholders anonymous for a beer at the weekend. Not expecting much, in fact I’m expecting to leave as I always did, completely underwhelmed.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

31 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

If one is really jonsing to see Secrets may I suggest getting acquainted with THE WAYBACK MACHINE at this website - https://archive.org/web/

Secrets and pretty much any website in history, either dead or still alive still have plenty of archives in the public domain.

Screen Shot 2562-09-24 at 5.07.21 PM.png

This....The original web site was fantastic...It was a beautiful very functional site...With each up-grade more like down-grade the site kept getting worse....At the end it was that Tap-Talk rubbish,worst forum I have ever seen on the internet.....

The Secrets forum fell apart about the same pace the Secrets bar fell apart...

Honestly I bet Bens delighted to not have a forum now...

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One man's fuckwit is another man's zany poster,  just as one man's troll is another man's valued member. Some BMs react strongly to what they consider personal insults, while others regard the exact same comments as friendly banter.  There's no consensus among the posting public on where the line goes on appropriate or inappropriate exchanges between members of a Pattaya forum.

The Admin and Mods of Thailand-247 have navigated that fuzzy boundary very well.  They've shut out the destructive trolls whose real goal is to disrupt the board, but have allowed, shall we say, the vigorous debate and the good-natured repartee many enjoy.  They haven't stifled reasonable exchanges, but have shown no tolerance for mean-spirited comments and mindless namecalling.

That's why the more notorious trolls haven't bothered with Thailand-247.  They only join a board to disrupt it and that's not possible on T247,  so there's no point in even trying.  A few of them have serious psychological problems,  having never moved past the mentality of an elementry school bully.  Other than banning, there's nothing a board's Admin and Mods can do to stop them because such trolls will never alter their behavior.  To rework the quote from the Book of Jeremiah:  Can the Hungarian change his psychosis or the leopard his spots?

I believe T247 will move forward as it's a troll-zone zone, which is exactly what the vast majority of punters want.

Evil

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

One man's fuckwit is another man's zany poster,  just as one man's troll is another man's valued member. Some BMs react strongly to what they consider personal insults, while others regard the exact same comments as friendly banter.  There's no consensus among the posting public on where the line goes on appropriate or inappropriate exchanges between members of a Pattaya forum.

The Admin and Mods of Thailand-247 have navigated that fuzzy boundary very well.  They've shut out the destructive trolls whose real goal is to disrupt the board, but have allowed, shall we say, the vigorous debate and the good-natured repartee many enjoy.  They haven't stifled reasonable exchanges, but have shown no tolerance for mean-spirited comments and mindless namecalling.

That's why the more notorious trolls haven't bothered with Thailand-247.  They only join a board to disrupt it and that's not possible on T247,  so there's no point in even trying.  A few of them have serious psychological problems,  having never moved past the mentality of an elementry school bully.  Other than banning, there's nothing a board's Admin and Mods can do to stop them because such trolls will never alter their behavior.  To rework the quote from the Book of Jeremiah:  Can the Hungarian change his psychosis or the leopard his spots?

I believe T247 will move forward as it's a troll-zone zone, which is exactly what the vast majority of punters want.

Evil

our mods are highly paid , vicious and out for the kill, one sniff of blood and they are in with the pitbulls..  admins are mostly liars here,  as u can see in the previous sentence 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, fforest said:

This....The original web site was fantastic...It was a beautiful very functional site...With each up-grade more like down-grade the site kept getting worse....At the end it was that Tap-Talk rubbish,worst forum I have ever seen on the internet.....

The Secrets forum fell apart about the same pace the Secrets bar fell apart...

Honestly I bet Bens delighted to not have a forum now...

BINGO, your post says it all.....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thumper63 said:

A forum is only as good, or as bad, as it's members and Secrets had an amazing cast of characters. For years it just kept getting better and better. It was a true mongers board with photos and trip reports to rival any forum out there. But as the years passed and the original cast of characters ( for what ever reason ) started to pull away, it started to change direction. To me, two of the biggest events that shook Secrets was ( #1 ) the loss of Larry as manager and how the entire episode surrounding it was handled by Ben. The second was when up2u2 came on as a moderator and lost direction as to what that job is supposed to entail. His actions alone earned him a spot on the most devastating blows to Secrets Forum and its membership. It also got him The Most Hated Mod of All Time Award. It was a shame really because IRL he was a great guy to hang around with. Despite the fact that we got a top notch Mod Team after that fiasco, it seemed that the damage was done. Once again, " to me " it seemed that the death blow was delivered by none other than the owner himself, by chopping away at what was once the best forum out there. The final straw was bringing in Taptalk. Now Secrets Forum is dead. Very sad to see how this once great enterprise was poisoned from the inside and allowed to die away by he who owned it. But as many have said, it was his to do with as he wanted and so be it.

Great post mate, the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Anyone been in the bar lately ??? ...... as Thumper et al said Forum is dead but hopefully some of the bar lives on. ........ update  ???

I dropped in last night with a couple of companions, which doubled the number of patrons. Great shame as I really like the place and still think it has a lot of unrealised potential. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, monkeyman said:

I dropped in last night with a couple of companions, which doubled the number of patrons. Great shame as I really like the place and still think it has a lot of unrealised potential. 

With out proper promotion at that location stands no chance IMO its a dank dark Soi with no other real action on it used mostly to get to walking street. Secrets was always a Destination location guys planned on going there and that was due to the forum for the most part. The amount of guys that walked past and said hey lets check this place out was minimal for sure. We all have our opinions and this is mine

• Thumbs Up 4

13 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

With out proper promotion at that location stands no chance IMO its a dank dark Soi with no other real action on it used mostly to get to walking street. Secrets was always a Destination location guys planned on going there and that was due to the forum for the most part. The amount of guys that walked past and said hey lets check this place out was minimal for sure. We all have our opinions and this is mine

Fully agree. Secrets, Rockhouse, Le Pub,  never would have walked in if I hadn't read about them on a forum.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Secrets was always a Destination location guys planned on going there and that was due to the forum for the most part.

28 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Fully agree. Secrets, Rockhouse, Le Pub,  never would have walked in if I hadn't read about them on a forum.

Bingo it was certainly the case for me but with forums on the decline can other social media do the same promotion job ? 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Bingo it was certainly the case for me but with forums on the decline can other social media do the same promotion job ? 

Well, considering most of us old dinos have no F.B., no Twatter, no Instagram, etc etc.....  I guess we will be left in the dark !

No stress, 30y ago without all this shit I could find bars and girls without problem.  And I dont do "on line bride opr S.T. bookings" neither....  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Pumpuynarak said:

can other social media do the same promotion job ? 

great question and lets take face book for example. I do not feel there is as much business generated from it as many others do why ? Simple what good is it to have 50,000 members following business facebook page if they are not guys on the ground or frequent visitors ? I have thousands of friends on FB and many many of them have joined the same facebook pages i belong to which are lots of the night life ones. Well guess what they are guys that are not here and will never be coming here but interested none the less in the thailand nightlife cause where they live in Bumfuck Utah there is nothing like it. Lets see the hard numbers of the facebook guys that are here or come often and I assure you its a very small percentage of the total. So facebook great advertising ? Don't kid yourself.

• Like 5
  • Great Info 1

3 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Well, considering most of us old dinos have no F.B., no Twatter, no Instagram, etc etc.....  I guess we will be left in the dark !

No stress, 30y ago without all this shit I could find bars and girls without problem.  And I dont do "on line bride opr S.T. bookings" neither....  

Thats why i posted the question TS, i don't do any social media other than forums but FB and the like are the modern way, i repeat can they do the same promotion job as forums ? 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

great question and lets take face book for example. I do not feel there is as much business generated from it as many others do why ? Simple what good is it to have 50,000 members following business facebook page if they are not guys on the ground or frequent visitors ? I have thousands of friends on FB and many many of them have joined the same facebook pages i belong to which are lots of the night life ones. Well guess what they are guys that are not here and will never be coming here but interested none the less in the thailand nightlife cause where they live in Bumfuck Utah there is nothing like it. Lets see the hard numbers of the facebook guys that are here or come often and I assure you its a very small percentage of the total. So facebook great advertising ? Don't kid yourself.

Secrets forum was the reason for me ever coming to Thailand in late 2006 with a view to settling down here in my retirement, it was a wealth of info and thats why i always felt loyalty to the bar and would always visit when in Pattaya and i made some great friends who not surprisingly are still great friends today.

So FB and the like are not capable of doing the same job, in which case i fear for Scotters future. 

• Like 3