Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

OPELIKA, Ala. US — Bennie G. Adkins, who received the Congressional Medal of Honor for his heroism during the Vietnam War, died from complications from COVID-19... He was 86.

Adkins served more than 20 years in the U.S. Army with 13 of those years spent as a Green Beret. He was deployed to Vietnam three times and was awarded the Medal of Honor in 2014 for heroism in a 1966 battle....

“During the thirty eight hour battle and forty eight hours of escape and evasion, fighting with mortars, machine guns, recoilless rifles, small arms, and hand grenades, it was estimated that Sergeant First Class Adkins killed between 135 and 175 of the enemy while sustaining eighteen different wounds to his body,” the Medal of Honor citation read.

920x920.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

23 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I lost my dad over the weekend. Though he was a prime candidate to catch the Corona virus, it wasn't from that. He died in his sleep from what I was told by my sister. He had suffered from a combination of several ailments that had plagued him the last years of his life and made his quality of life less than stellar.

He enjoyed hearing of my travels over the years and a few stories gathered from many long drinking sessions among expat mates and fellow travelers, especially when in Pattaya. I bought him a beer mug from the Guinness brewery in Dublin when I took a tour and told him what an absolutely gorgeous country Ireland was and the people among the friendliest people on earth I had ever met. As he was half Irish, he would have loved having the chance to see it himself but never did. I think he lived somewhat vicariously through me and many times wish he could have enjoyed a pint with me during those moments.

He was 78 and lived longer in retired life than do most men who had a career in law enforcement, for which I was grateful for that. I'm sad I wasn't there to tell him that I loved him and goodbye, but am comforted in knowing his suffering is no more. He will be with me in spirit from now on.

I'll miss him deeply. RIP Dad.

Sorry to hear that mate. I lost my dad in 2017, he was 107 years old and double pneumonia took him very quickly, but luckily he wasn’t in any pain and we were lucky to be there with him. 
I don’t really think of him as gone, just in the room next door. He did SE Asia during the war, so he got there long before me and loved seeing pictures from Thailand and Burma that we sent him. 
Time heals, at least it did for me. 👍

• Like 3

On 4/21/2020 at 1:54 AM, Mr. Smooth said:

A sincere and heartfelt thank you to everyone. To read so many kind words and sentiments,  couldn't help but to bring a smile to my face, something I hadn't done much of lately. Very much appreciated.

You lads are top shelf.

Can't tell you how sorry I am to hear of your Dads passing. It's one of those wounds that will be with us forever.  It' seems the sands of the hour glass are catching up with us all.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

My dear old mum passed tonight at 8.30 pm. 

A cancer sufferer for more than a year, could have been a lot longer, she passed in her sleep which I'm thankful for. 

A grafter and a family woman who never had a bad word to say about anyone. Old school. 

RIP mum. Love you xxx

• Like 3
  • Sad 20

1 hour ago, Aqualung said:

A cancer sufferer for more than a year, could have been a lot longer, she passed in her sleep which I'm thankful for. 

A grafter and a family woman who never had a bad word to say about anyone. Old school. 

RIP mum. Love you xxx

God bless your mum...so very sad.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Aqualung said:

RIP mum. Love you xxx

I'm so sorry mate. My heart goes out to you and your family. There is something very special about a sons love for his Mother. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Aqualung said:

RIP mum. Love you xxx

Sorry to hear that, glad she went peacefully. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aqualung said:

RIP mum. Love you xxx

Really sorry for your loss mate. 

RIP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Dave Greenfield of the Stranglers aged 71 of COVID- 19. Brilliant live act were the Stranglers

R.I.P

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52537293

.... died at the age of 71 after testing positive for Covid-19.

Greenfield died on Sunday having contracted the virus after a prolonged stay in hospital for heart problems.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 9:42 AM, Aqualung said:

RIP mum. Love you xxx

lost me old mum 14years ago,

mate it gets a bit easier as time goes,

R.I.P. Mothers all over the world

regards

grayray

• Like 3

On 5/1/2020 at 6:42 AM, Aqualung said:

RIP mum. Love you xxx

jusrt seen this.. sorry for your loss.

• Like 1